1 to 20 of 21 messages
14/04/2014 at 20:32

Hello once again,

I have just purchased a 12" easy fill hanging baskets online for £12.99 (set of 4), don't know if i shoul mention the website as I don't know if it's allowed here.

This is how they look.

http://imgs.leadthegoodlife.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/365x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/0/4000041_1.jpg

http://imgs.leadthegoodlife.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/365x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/0/300814_4_3.jpg

I'm thinking of planting Strawberry's in 1 or two of these and tomatoes in the others. 

I just wanted to know what is best planted next to Strawberry's? Or shall I just plant the whole lot with Strawberry's?

Thanks in advance.

Sam.

14/04/2014 at 23:21

Can't help with companion planting in strawbs, but would be interested to see the answers, I have just planted strawberries in mine.

Love these baskets and it is ok to mention the website, if it is for the benefit of forum members and you aren't affiliated or benefit from it.  I've mentioned a few when I've got bargains, no one minds if it benefits us all 

I am planting marigolds with my toms though but you may know that already 

15/04/2014 at 06:06

Hi, give marigolds a go. They deter pests and also attract pollinating bees which will be essential for a good strawberry crop. Also, lettuce as tour baskets will be off the ground and away from slugs. You can also grow baby spring onions as the scent deters pests too.  Show us some photos when planted up. Would love to see how you get on. 

15/04/2014 at 10:19

Here's where I purchased it from http://www.leadthegoodlife.com/set-of-4-12-easy-fill-hanging-baskets.html

I've gone with Borage. I'll keep updated what happens. 

Just ordered seeds, just hope they will grow lol. 

Growing strawberry's from seeds too. Don't know if that was a good idea or not lol. We'll soon find out lol.

15/04/2014 at 10:48

I've grown strawberries from seed and it takes a long time - 2 years before first fruit, so if you want fruit this year, you need to buy potted strawberry plants (the larger the better.)  Bare root strawberry plants shouldn't be allowed to fruit until the second year.

15/04/2014 at 11:01

Borage is very easy to grow so you should have not bother. 

15/04/2014 at 12:24

Lettuce, that's a good idea Tootles, I have some spare seed so will go and sow some now in the basket  Thank you 

16/04/2014 at 11:08

I'll be buying a potted plant this year then lol. 

If I want to plant from seeds (for next year) where should I plant them? Pots in the greenhouse or planted directly into the soil outside?

Thanks.

16/04/2014 at 11:12

Oooh - marigolds - that's a good idea.... Calendula, presumably?  I've tried garlic this year in an attempt to keep the aphids off but this sounds better.

23/04/2014 at 14:31

Hello again,

Just got the hanging basket (Finally lol)

Wanted to ask another quick question, when is it best to move tomato plants outside. Basically when shall I put the individual plants into the hanging baskets? The tallest one is around 15cm and the smallest is around 10cm.

23/04/2014 at 17:32

I would say after risk of frost, but may be wrong, and they will need hardening off first 

23/04/2014 at 21:13
Orchid Lady wrote (see)

I would say after risk of frost, but may be wrong, and they will need hardening off first 

What you mean hardening?

Ta.

23/04/2014 at 21:53

Just strawberries for me.  .........and Cornish clotted cream later 

23/04/2014 at 22:43

Ermm....I'm wondering if that's the right word now??  Basically, if they have been grown indoors or in a GH you can't just put them straight outside, you need to put them out in the day and bring them in if getting too cold, just to get them used to cooler conditions.  I hope that makes sense, joint birthday celebration with my little man tonight which involved wine 

Cornish clotted cream Verdun, love it  I'm off down to Cornwall in the next month so will be able to stock up just in time 

23/04/2014 at 22:49
Orchid Lady wrote (see)

Ermm....I'm wondering if that's the right word now??  Basically, if they have been grown indoors or in a GH you can't just put them straight outside, you need to put them out in the day and bring them in if getting too cold, just to get them used to cooler conditions. 

Aah makes perfect sense. Sorry new to this all lol. Should I put it into the hanging basket and then harden it, or harden it in the pots? Or does it matter? lol

Orchid Lady wrote (see)

Cornish clotted cream Verdun, love it  I'm off down to Cornwall in the next month so will be able to stock up just in time 

Clotted cream mmmmm. Especially on scones and strawberry jam, heaven haha.

23/04/2014 at 22:51

I don't think it matters really, but I all honesty I'm new to this too and it may even be the wrong advice, best wait for an expert 

27/04/2014 at 10:33

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/43761.jpg?width=359&height=350&mode=max

As promised

Lets see how we get on lol. 

28/04/2014 at 12:58

That looks good Cleverduck.  Better still when they've filled out in a few weeks.  I guess they'll need a lot of feeding as well as watering as there are lots of plants in not a lot of compost.  I'm growing the same sort of marigolds in the g/h to keep the whitefly off the tomatoes.  Worked last year - they infested the peppers instead

You can harden them off OK in the basket I should think - but it looks like they're outside already.  That might be OK in some areas and in a city - but if you're inland/rural/northern beware of frost next weekend!

28/04/2014 at 13:11

Aah cool thanks.

Quick question, would you say I should remove one of the Marigolds plants from the top because of the space issue? I have given them multi-purpose feed (diluted into water as usual) but should I get the slow release feed pellets too? or is that too much for the plants? 

I've been taking them in at night and bringing it back out in the day. I've done that for 2/3 days, so I might leave them out from tonight.

I've started growing chilli's too but indoors. hopefully it's fairly controlled indoors.

28/04/2014 at 13:28

No - the marigolds will be relatively undemanding.  It's the toms that need the feeding.  Feed once a week in their water at the recommended rate when you start to see fruits forming.

And hardened off or not, they will be at least damaged by frost, so if you're in a susceptible area, cover them with fleece or something in the evening if frost is forecast overnight.  That close to the house, though, you may be OK, especially if you're in a city or on the coast.

Let's, as you say, see how we get on!

1 to 20 of 21 messages