London (change)
Today 15°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 7°C
21 to 37 of 37 messages
18/10/2013 at 14:08

I see by the previous comments that quite a few people plant Charlotte and I tried Charlotte for the first time this year and although I was very late putting them in I still had a very good crop so will grow them again.  The other ones I like and grow are Maris Peer and Desiree. Even though I have heavy soil and unable to water them I still have reliable crops from these varieties.   Lots of ideas Michael so it's trial and error.

19/10/2013 at 13:13

I cut off the blighted part of the tomatoes - mostly only the skin affected, the meaty bit tastes OK whether raw or fried. I HATE waste and even salvage what I can from blighted potatoes - although none this year.

30/01/2014 at 23:00

Bumped for those talking about potatoes today.

31/01/2014 at 01:52

I have scottish seed potatoes, Vales Emerald, Desiree, Pink Fir Apple chitting in my conservatory.

Also Charlotte and Maris Peer from my home grown spuds last year. As well as some Blue Belle spuds that were reduced price in Morrisons.

The first and second earlies will be grown in bags - the maincrop in open ground - I must remember to spray them with Dithane 945 this year - also my toms.

I am still eating last years Pink Fir Apple potatoes.

31/01/2014 at 17:01

Dithane has been removed from sale in Ireland, is it still available over with you?

31/01/2014 at 18:30
No expert wrote (see)

Dithane has been removed from sale in Ireland, is it still available over with you?

I did not know of the ban - my box was bought in 2005!

I have just ordered one of these :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003M4VA8M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope you will also get lucky!!!!!!!!!!!  

31/01/2014 at 23:46

I have enogh for 2 more years. After that I'll start to use the new one which is twice the price. Sucks to be the consumer!

01/02/2014 at 00:01

At 4 gms per 2.25l water, I will have enough for 75 doses for my spuds and toms. As I am 70 years old, I would be prepared to sell some at cost + postage.

01/02/2014 at 11:46

They say that the first person to live to 150 is already alive.

Best keep the dithane just incase it is you!

01/02/2014 at 12:05

I have heavy clay and keeled slugs but Kestrel were untouched last year and also the best tasting so those together with Sante (also slug resistant) and Pink Fir Apple are my selections for this year.  The last one will get attacked but I just can't resist the taste so some damage is acceptable (and being knobbly means cutting out the damaged bits doesn't add much longer to the preparation time than the rather tedious peeling!) 

For anyone just starting out I recommend you get a pack with several different varieties (eg 6 x 10 tubers) if you have the room.  Potatoes grown on different types of soil DO taste different, so you really need to find out which grow and taste best on your particular plot.  I grew over 50 varieties before finding 8 or so that I really like and do well.  I still try a row of a new variety every year, too (Mayan Gold this year.)

Happy spudding, spudders! 

01/02/2014 at 12:15

Very true Bob. Am growing Home guard this year for first time as an experiment. One row of 26 tubers, enough to have a good supply if they work out but not taking up too much ground.

01/02/2014 at 19:47
No expert wrote (see)

They say that the first person to live to 150 is already alive.

Best keep the dithane just incase it is you!

What an awful thing to wish somebody! I don't wish to live that long, probably being gaga, doubly incontinent and kept alive by being hooked up to machines - I want to pop my clogs while I am still compos mentis and can look after myself.

Go out on a high!

To Bob the Gardener,

Why do you try to perform the impossible? - peeling Pink Fir Apple spuds? - I just clean them with a pot scourer and then boil them.

01/02/2014 at 20:36

My OH won't eat them with the skins on Alan!  Personally, I don't even mind a bit of soil left on things I eat!  We couldn't be more different really.

02/02/2014 at 23:20

I have 3 potato bags and half of my G/H borders planted with Charlotte & Maris Peer late October, they are growing well but I didn't get any Xmas spuds.

Still, at least I have over 120 spuds chitting - my local cider farm takes my surplus eggs and onions etc. The price he pays me has increased to £2/doz hen eggs - the duck eggs went for £2.50/doz. With layer pellets costing £8.70/25kg I am glad this is only a hobby! The farmer sells me Apple Cider Vinegar @ 40p/litre - keeps my hens healthy.

02/02/2014 at 23:33

dense heavy clay here in North Devon. I've grown Charlotte , Lady Christl and Pink Fir Apple with success, but this year I'm going with Charlotte and Maris Piper and Foremost. Ring the changes.

03/02/2014 at 00:02

I fed my veg plot of heavy clay soil for years, but due to one or more marauding foxes, I decided to relocate my ducks to a secured fenced veg plot. - no more fox kills but I now have to start again in what was the previous duck run.

I trialled Vales Emerald a few years ago - very nice so I am now regrowing them. Lady Christl was OK but not very prolific.

My personal preference is for waxy spuds inc Desiree. I do not eat many chips so floury spuds have no interest for me.

I will try Blue Belle this year, I bought some reduced price that had started to chit, so will try them. Reduced price Maris Peer spuds from Morrison's did very well for me.

Dn't forget to spray spuds & toms with Dithane 945 

03/02/2014 at 00:23

Hi Mike.

As one Mike to another.  Hey Brother, couldn't you have picked a lesser family of veg?

Simplify your selection.  Let's face it.  The common 'Tatty' takes up an awful lot of space.  Fair do's, there are all these grow bags etc, but.  If you intend to grow enoughto see you through the winter etc.  You need space.  Back in the distant past.  My dad and I grew, Arran Pilot and Arran Banner.  We found them to fit our bill.  For mashed spuds, very good.  Roasties.  Fantastic.  Mum's Home Style chips.  You couldn't beat them.  Sadly though, the weather really was the boss.  In a dry season, dad would say.  Son.   Open the wardrobe.  We've got plenty of moth balls.  Yes the crop was pleniful but, so tiny.  You ceratinly wouldnt get a good jacket tatty out vof the crop.  Another season.  Wowee! what a load of whoppers.  Then the mix and match season.  Fantastic haulms with now't below.  Then a large clump, and.  Mr Slug had invaded the crop..  Mike old son.  To be honest.  Looking back on my years of experience,  Truthfully.   I don't think that a satisfactory answer lies out here.  Mike.  Take a gamble.  Browse the lists.  Pick what pleases your eye.  Take a chance.

Mike.  I wish you all the best.

email image
21 to 37 of 37 messages