London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 37 messages
17/08/2013 at 21:22

Im planning what to grow once my veg plot is finished and potato is def something I want, I eat tons of them so growing my own organic ones will be terrific.

What is the best variety to grow ? 

thanks

17/08/2013 at 21:41

How much space have you got.?

If only a small space, then grow first earlies , because that is when they are most expensive in the shops. If  you have an acre, put 25% down to potatoes, and it will feed you all year.

17/08/2013 at 22:39

I like Charlotte, which are 2nd earlies. You can dig them early and they are good new potatoes, leave the rest in the good until they mature and they are like main crop but earlier and they keep well. They are also more blight resistant than some varieties.

17/08/2013 at 23:31

Charlotte have been good for me too - but i grow them in bags

17/08/2013 at 23:49

In the past few years I have enjoyed growing my own International Kidney (Jersey Royal), Red Duke of York, Arran Pilot, Kestrel and Charlotte. Lots of useful info here http://how-to-grow-potatoes.co.uk/

18/08/2013 at 10:07

I was given some pink fir apple. They are lovely. Missed some wneh i dug them up last year so had a lot of extra ones this. Have also tried osprey, not sure if they are early or main crop but they do have a lovely flavour.

18/08/2013 at 14:10
Hi MIc Charlotte seemed to be the winner on the allotment this year, Cara also everybody happy, Winston early just terrible was also agreed and never again,
Kestrel 2nd early came out huge and tasted ok not great but ok,lots of slug damage on kestrel and Winston, i like Busy lizzies idea as well,
Alan4711
18/08/2013 at 15:15

Nadine is another 2nd early salad potato that is reliable. Despite no rain here and only earthing up once I got 32kg from 2kg seed. Plant March, eat June - 90 days. Charlotte is a good one.

I tend to do most earlies as wireworm and blight seem to hit late July/Aug in here in the SW.

You are supposed to lift earlies when ready, but main crop varieties can be left in the ground to lift as you require through autiumn,

Best idea is to plant a few different.good seed potatoes in succession, and keep them nicely spaced.

18/08/2013 at 18:24

Juliette is a nice waxy/salad type early maincrop, I've had a huge crop from them this year, Kestrel amke a good baker if left to get bigger.  Sharpes Express although tasty have been a disappointment this year. Charlotte have done well also.

19/08/2013 at 17:47
dug a second bed of Cara up today 50% wireworm, what was ok we're med large to huge,but losing that amount very disappointing, looks like Charlotte are doing well for gardeners in different areas,
Alan
22/08/2013 at 22:01

Charlotte always good,lady Cristel has always produced a large crop,Maris Peer and Nadine have also been reliable,

Tried International Kidney last year,results very poor.

30/08/2013 at 19:45

1st Earlies - Charlotte

2nds - Maris Piper

Main - King Edward

In bags - were reasonable cropping would do better in the ground.

14/10/2013 at 06:33

experiment !  Find the potato which suits your soil, what is good in one garden does not always do good next door. If you have the space try different varieties until you find  a breed which performs well.

16/10/2013 at 19:35

Hi - I planted maincrop Sante in Apring this year and a couple months later had some really beautiful, tasty potatoes.  I put them in planters, got loads, had enough to give bags of them to my neighbours, too.  No blight, no problems, no pests.  I sort of cheated and planted them in compost, with nothing else, so maybe that helped.  Best advice I got was to keep picking the flowers off the leaves, and also to cut the leaves down to soil level once they started to yellow.  Then left the potatoes alone for another three weeks or so, tipped them out and they were great.  Best advice I got is rather than use expensive containers, just buy a big trug, cut some holes in the bottom, away you go

KEF
16/10/2013 at 19:51

I've grown Pentland Javelin 1st earlies for a few years, like the taste and they store well.

17/10/2013 at 15:04

We are still trying to find the potato that we enjoyed when we were young. Every year we plant some old varieties, no luck so far. Must be how things are remembered. We do not grow maincrop as we can obtain them from our local farms.

On the subject of new potatoes, however, we find that International Kidney is the nearest to Jersey Royals and this year we tried Anya, which we found to be very good. The added bonus is that that they turn out much cheaper that supermarket bought and with Anya there is no waste as you just scrub them and eat every one however small.

17/10/2013 at 19:21

Lady Balfour and Pink Fir Apple in bags - reasonable crop considering the bags were left in the open without regular feeding.

I have just planted some of my sprouting Charlottes in the greenhouse border and some sprouting Desiree in potato bags. Ready for Xmas perhaps?

I also had much success with Maris Piper that I bought marked down in price from Morrisons - I planted these alongside my front Leylandii hedge and was amazed at the yield.

17/10/2013 at 19:22

Is it harmful for me to eat fried tomatoes that have succumbed to late blight?

17/10/2013 at 21:58

I grow a lot of potatoes as everyone in the house eats them.

Grew Sharpes Express as earlies. Sowed 2 March started to harvest 1/July. These cropped very poorly this year as we had very cold weather in April and May.

Sowed British Queens as second earlies. Sowed on 3 April, harvested from 12 July. Poor crop at first but they picked up as the year moved on. probably affected by poor conditions early on.

Sowed Roosters and Golden Wonders as main crop on 20 April. Dug 102.5 kg of Roosters on 18 September and 125 kg Golden Wonder on 28 September. Both are very sound and good to eat. Roosters yielded 1.1 kg per foot of row and the GWs yielded .85 kg per foot of row.

17/10/2013 at 23:00

Do tomatoes with blight taste OK? I would have thought frying them would kill the fungus.

1 to 20 of 37 messages