London (change)
Today 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 7°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
25/02/2013 at 13:39
Im always looking for the sweetest tastiest early peas. ..meteor, Hurst green shaft, etc. growing Mangetout this time too. Will be sowing very soon so which are the tastiest peas folks?
25/02/2013 at 19:09

It always has to be Hurst Greenshaft for me. I've tried others but these gave me the sweetest peas I've tasted. They are good heavy croppers too. They were recommended to me by a friend on another forum and I've grown them sometimes with others and sometimes just on their own. From now on it'll be on their own unless something very special comes along.

25/02/2013 at 21:32

I enjoy all the one's grown in my garden, so much so, most never make it to the kitchen. They're fairly bog standard one's though - Pea's Early Onwards, Sugar Snap, mangetout - Delikata and for the first time last year - Purple Pea.

Apart from the latter the others grew well from seeds sown early March, must be the soil and being sheltered but pea's and beans do really well in my garden. We had a couple of very chilly nights too after they were planted out mid April. The latter fared better from seeds sown in April and planted out when the seedlings were ready. Pea's Early Onward and the Sugar Snap variety me thinks were frost hardy.

They were ready to pick early July, as I was eating them before I went on my  jollies, very tasty

25/02/2013 at 23:50

I grow Kelvedon Wonder as the seeds are easy to find here in France, but they are called "Merveille de Kelvedon" and Greenshaft when I remember to buy the seeds on trips to England. I will be growing a French variety of Mangetout peas this year as well.

26/02/2013 at 03:59

I HAVE NOW GIVEN UP ON PEAS DUE TO MAGGOTS , AND SO ONLY GROW MANGE TOUTS AND DWARF BEANS . JUST THOUGHT THAT I WOULD LET OTHERS KNOW JUST INCASE THEY HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND SOMETHING IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN NOTHING. !!!!!!!

26/02/2013 at 08:24
Cheryl, if you cover your peas with fleece at floweriing time you should not get any "maggots" in your peas.
28/02/2013 at 15:59
Sorry I'm a bit late with my question, is the pea moth a common problem and do you just cover at flowering time to stop them? I'm also going to be growing Hurst Greenshaft but it's the first time for me.
28/02/2013 at 16:41
Leggi, yes if you cover peas at flowering time it should prevent pea moth. It's what I do anyway
28/02/2013 at 16:48
Excellent, cheers Verdun. I hadn't known there was a potential problem until I read this thread, so thanks for that too.
28/02/2013 at 18:27
Your're welcome leggi
01/03/2013 at 23:02
Hurst Greenshaft has always proved totally reliable for me at my allotment. In three years of growing them I have had probably only half a dozen pods affected by maggots - my freezer contains enough saved peas to see me through to the following harvest. Whether it's the area I live in ( 400 feet up in the Chilterns ), or sheer luck, I have never been bothered by pests on the peas - I certainly don't spray against moths. Have tried other varieties but none are anywhere near as productive or certain in germination. Taste is as good as anything else around, so give them a go Verdun!
01/03/2013 at 23:27
Hi dmball, yes green shaft is the one I usually do grow. Early sowing to avoid pea moth is something I practise too. I'll stick to green shaft then I think
04/03/2013 at 19:30

We have grown 'canoe' for the last 5 years, I guess it's down to personal choice about what anyone likes, two years ago they were not available,but are back again now.

04/03/2013 at 20:15

I have tried to grow peas for about 6 years here in the Fens and never grown a single one. Don't have many probs with other veg.

04/03/2013 at 20:39

Artjak, my guess would be mice, pigeons or other vermin eating the seeds before or soon after they have germinated.  I had little luck with peas until I started sowing them in root trainers, then planting out later when they had grown a few inches tall.

04/03/2013 at 21:29
I grow mine indoors and then plant outdoors when fe inches high. Mice are the culprits
04/03/2013 at 21:33
Can also be grown inside in lengths of guttering and then slid into a purpose dug trench in garden when several inches high. Might still need protection against pigeons .
04/03/2013 at 22:42

Last year I borrowed gutter from neighbour, theirs were germinating well in polytunnel, mine did not germinate so well in new greenhouse but those that did I planted out and nothing much happened. Is there some way that I should be preparing the soil for them? We do have a lot of pigeons around here, but they mostly feed from what is dropped on the ground from the bird feeders; about 25metres from the veg beds.

04/03/2013 at 22:58
Use decent soil or compost,water well before planting,and water gently thereafter - peas should germinate easily in greenhouse,but perhaps leave out a humane mousetrap (which catches the mouse but doesn't kill it - you can,if like my sister who can't kill anything, release it in the wild - but at least quarter of a mile away or it may return!) - I occasionally get a mouse in my greenhouse and he would make inroads on tender pea shoots or seeds given the chance! Pigeons are different altogether - if they have an alternative food source, like your feeder droppings, they may well stick with it, but when they discover an new source of food, such as your peas, or my sprouts at the allotment, they will go mad for it, and the crop can virtually disappear in a few days. My peas suffered from pigeons last year as I was away for a few days when they came up, and I had forgotten to net them! Never underestimate pigeons - they are pretty thick and slow to find food sources, but when they do - watch out!
05/03/2013 at 00:09
No, I don't quit. Mice are usually dead in trap when I find them (funny humane killer) so they're binned, and crops at the allotment are normally netted but need to check nets after heavy winds - pigeons not a problem if you keep aware. The 'old boys' up there want to shoot the pigeons but Council have banned that under by-laws so there is much grumbling and moaning. My neighbour contents himself by trapping pheasants and roasting them! Only pest that we struggle with are the muntjac deer - if they find something tasty then they're difficult to stop. Impossible to stop are the odd light fingered humans who pass in the night! Still, all part of life's rich tapestry and never a dull moment.
1 to 20 of 24 messages