London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 5°C
1 to 20 of 30 messages
30/07/2014 at 18:00

Hi everyone, i've just picked a nice beet & i've got some others looking good now. As i'm a newbie to veg gardening i was wondering what are the best ways to preserve them until i'm ready to cook them?

Lyn
30/07/2014 at 18:44

I keep them in the fridge until I have few, then cook them and open freeze. None of us like vinigar so I dont pickle.

30/07/2014 at 18:53

If you simply mean how to store fresh pulled beetroot until you have sufficient to make a meal, you may be able to keep them for longer if you used the "clamp" method (similar to clamping Beet or Carrots ?

I'm certainly no expert on this method but think it is layering your veg with dry sand or soil and keeping cool and dark.

I imagine either Dove from Above or Welshonion would be able to advise

30/07/2014 at 20:55

I tend to lift and eat the beetroot as they are ready; at this time of year we plan our meals around what's ready in the garden.

During the growing season beetroot keep best in the soil, but they need lifting before the frosts can damage them.

Philippa's right, we used to build a soil root clamp - a smaller version of the way farmers would store fodder beet to feed their cattle through the winter.

This site gives more information https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=666 

Hope that's helpful 

30/07/2014 at 21:01

Donning me chef's hat....I sometimes make beetroot & lime jelly:

*Boil the beetroot in the normal way, then cut into small squares and place into jar/jars.

*Make up a 1pt lime jelly, instead of using a pint of boiling water, use 1/2pt of boiling water and 1/2pt of (cold) white vinegar - then pour this over the beetroot and allow to set.

31/07/2014 at 15:55

I freeze them once I've boiled and skinned them

31/07/2014 at 16:14

Does anyone else use a pressure cooker to cook their beetroot?  Mine comes out once a year to do the job and is known as 'hissing sid'.  Then pickled in Kilner jars to keep us going during the year.  I do like a bit of unpickled though.

31/07/2014 at 16:40

David.........when you say "Lime Jelly" do you make your own or do you mean those little rubbery squares ? ( which I recall eating raw as a child  ).

I love Beetroot either fresh or pickled but never tried it with Lime........at first, it sounded a bit odd but I'm warming to the idea now.

Forester......."hissing sid".........I have used in the past but after several occasions of not keeping an eye on the wretched thing and the kitchen becoming like a Turkish Bath, I gave up .  I also recall my mother cooking everything to death with the HS and then being forced to "eat your greens, dear".....so that is probably another reason why I am not too keen

31/07/2014 at 16:47

Beetroot and Orange Chutney, the recipe can be found in BBC Good Food.

31/07/2014 at 16:53

Kay..........that sounds interesting

Trouble for me is that I already have a ton of all sorts of Chutneys...........I think they will probably outlive me

31/07/2014 at 17:02

I give mine away and just keep a couple of large jars and decant the chutney into smaller jars as I need it, that way i don't feel overwhelmed by it.

31/07/2014 at 17:21

Forester, I have a Hissing Sid. Love the name. I wouldn't be without him. I make the cooked orange base for marmalade in less than 15 minutes with him. I don't know why people are so nervous of them - there is absolutely no way that they can explode. And they save so much fuel as they cook most things in about a third of the time.

31/07/2014 at 17:43

Pansy - I did have an accident once with Hissing Sid and had beetroot juice shoot up to the ceiling and down the walls.  The cats are a bit wary too when the hissing starts.  My Mum used to cook everything in it, but mine only comes out for the beetroot.  I don't eat meat but I remember Mum cooking cheaper cuts of meat in it for Dad.  I like the idea of using it for marmalade though so will look into that in February.

31/07/2014 at 19:30
philippa smith2 wrote (see)

David.........when you say "Lime Jelly" do you make your own or do you mean those little rubbery squares ? ( which I recall eating raw as a child  ).

I love Beetroot either fresh or pickled but never tried it with Lime........at first, it sounded a bit odd but I'm warming to the idea now.

Forester......."hissing sid".........I have used in the past but after several occasions of not keeping an eye on the wretched thing and the kitchen becoming like a Turkish Bath, I gave up .  I also recall my mother cooking everything to death with the HS and then being forced to "eat your greens, dear".....so that is probably another reason why I am not too keen

Phillipa -  well yes, just boil & skin the beetroot as normal, then cut into small cubes when it's cold. The completed thing is used as a relish on the side of your plate, with say a salad or similar.

31/07/2014 at 20:51

We like to eat young beetroot roasted with a sour cream dressing, sometimes with the addition of some horseradish (brilliant accompanying roast beef).

And a few years ago I made a Beetroot chilli relish - it was fabulous - I made loads of it and included it in some Christmas hampers for friends and rellies.  Everyone loved it.

I bookmarked the link to the website, but it seems that the site is down   but if anyone is into pickles and chutney making it would be pretty easy to reproduce - it involved raw grated beetroot, a sprinkling of chilli flakes, a mix of cider and balsamic vinegar and dark muscavado sugar if I remember correctly 

01/08/2014 at 13:01

I'm growing beetroot and will have to decide later in the year what to do with them. Never really had them before, except thoe pickled in vinegar, but I can't eat vinegar now, so will need to do something else with them.

Maybe just boiled or roasted.

I have a pressure cooker, havent used it in a while. They are great for cooking lamb. I once was making some which had a large bone in it for making a stock first and i forget to let the steam out before I attempted to open it. This is hard work, I thought as I pulled the two handles apart. It dawned on me just as it released why it was so hard (still under pressure) and then the lid (in my hand) shot up and luckily didnt rip my arm off with it, and the lamb bone shot up like a rocket and smashed noisily into the ceiling along with the stock which went EVERYWHERE. I had a friend over at the time who found it very ammusing. I was not hurt, luckily and it was very funny actually. But the point is, they are safe so long as you're not a forgetful idiot.

01/08/2014 at 13:05

Glad I'm not the only dipstick Snowathlete - it does terrify me, but use it as it cuts down tremendously on the beetroot cooking time.

01/08/2014 at 14:25

chocolate beetroot cake, doesn't hang around for long tho!

01/08/2014 at 14:37
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/DSCN0409.jpg

My take on chocolate and beetroot cake:

Chocolate & Beetroot Cake

Ingredients

1¼ oz Cocoa powder
4¼ oz Plain flour
1½ tsp Baking powder
1 Pinch salt
5¼ oz Caster sugar
8½ fl oz Corn oil
1½ tsp Vanilla essence
3 eggs beaten
1 pack or (9oz) cooked beetroot, pureed
4oz Plain dark choc (60% +), broken into small pieces

Method

Preheat the oven to 375F/190C/Gas 5 and grease an (7") round cake tin.
Sift the cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and mix with the sugar.
Add the oil, vanilla essence, eggs, beetroot and chocolate pieces and mix well.
Pour into the cake tin, put on a baking tray and bake for 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.

01/08/2014 at 15:03

beetroot crisps Yum

1 to 20 of 30 messages