London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
4 messages
10/07/2013 at 19:40

Hiya,

Can anyone give me any ideas about what may be the problem with my plum tree.

It was planted in 2011 in a south facing border, protected from the north by a 6ft high wall but planted about 3 feet away from the wall.

It is about 7ft tall and is of a type called "opal"

The soil has been enriched in the past two years but not this year.

The plum looks healthy enough with lots of leaves and has grown since we planted it but it has never had any blossom.

Will it take several years to blossom, do I need to top dess the soil next year ?? Help. I was so looking forward to some plums !!

10/07/2013 at 19:51

Opal is an early plum to flower I think. It could be that there just weren't the pollinating insects around when the flowers were at their peak.Especially this year. They do take a while to settle down. Be patient. Next year if the flowers arrive during a cold spell you could try a bit of artificial insemination using a soft artist's paintbrush.Just dab each flower a bit to spread the pollen around. Not as efficient as a bee would be but better than nothing.

11/07/2013 at 17:30

But the problem appears to be that there's no blossom in the first place. I've jumped into this thread because I have a similar problem. We have a plum tree that's been planted for 4 or 5 years and it still has no blossom. It's a dual-type tree with two varieties - a damson and an greengage - grafted on to the one stem. The greengage part is now over 2 metres tall, and last year had just two tiny flowers, one of which produced a tiny plum that fell off. This year I think I saw one flower but there are now no fruits. The other part of the tree has never had a flower.

I gave the tree some potash feed in the early spring, but to no avail. It looks quite healthy, but won't flower.

11/07/2013 at 22:21

Yes, isn't gardening fun? I planted a Victoria about five years ago. This is the first year that it has set fruit, last year it had no flowers, the year before that it had a couple and they didn't set and the year before that no sign of a flower. When i bought it in the garden centre it was of course in full bloom. My neighbour also has a Victoria, planted about eight years ago, and hers is equally hit and miss but isn't synched with mine at all. I think that mine was better this year because it is the first year of growing without me having pruned it in any way last year. I left it to its own devices last year. My neighbour tends to hack away at hers when it looks straggly - not the most scientific method of ensuring flowers. Maybe not relevant at all, but that's my theory at the moment.

email image
4 messages