London (change)
Today 12°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 7°C
9 messages
05/07/2013 at 20:42

Evening Folks!

Just a question to see if anyone having similar problem.

My climbing french beans (Blue Lake) are only just developing flower buds- in previous years I have already started harvesting byt this time!

Really quite strange as the Runner Beans seem to be doing well and I just picked the first lot last week.

Anyone any ideas as to why these pesky french beans are on the go slow? Sigh...suppose they are french after all!

05/07/2013 at 21:17

I think its been too cold. My runners are flowering but the french beans are struggling. Planted at the same time. French beans like it a bit warmer I think. (so do I)

05/07/2013 at 21:28

I am growing runner (white lady), and climbing french beans (cobra and blue lake) together and they all seem to be developing at the same sort of rate. I've had past experience of the french beans being much slower and cropping less, so I made sure to put them in a position on the canes that they would never be shadowed by the other plants. All are flowering and have set their tiny beans, but not harvestable yet. In fact the french beans have been making so many tendrils that I have been having to tuck them back in of an evening because they've been reaching across the path toward the sun. They definitely like the extra heat, so I'm sure they're going to enjoy this weekend and you'll hopefully find they catch up with your runners.

05/07/2013 at 22:55

Beans are late in growing here in this part of the  NW and nowhere near flowering, Pea's are just starting to flower but the plants are small,  me thinks you are doing well to have flowers from beans.

I'm trying to grow yard long noodles in the GH for the first time, it's a variety of bean, could have chosen a better year to start growing them though, they are still tiny seedlings and  are being rapidly over shadowed by other plants.     

06/07/2013 at 08:17

I told a lie, I went out and checked my beans and only the Cobra variety actually have little beans on, the others are still at flower stage.

I should also add that I sowed them in early-mid April, and planted them out late May, and that I'm in the South West. Remember we ended up about two weeks behind a normal growing year thanks to the silly weather, but I'm sure we'll be catching up now.

06/07/2013 at 21:55

Hi Follks,

Thanks for the replies. It is just so frustrating- the dwarf beans are all okay but these climbing french beans are not behaving themselves....

I guess the dreadful start to the year didnt help so fingers crossed they will catch up. I must admit I have been really suprised by some dwarf runner beans (Hestia) I have been growing for the first time- output yield is amazing considering the size of the plants compared to traditional climbing runners. Learn something new every day!

07/07/2013 at 10:24

French beans struggle with any cold . To get them a bit earlier, I grow them in a polytunnel.

07/07/2013 at 11:07

I'm trying yard long beans Metro rouge this year, and since I planted them out they've stood still. My mum has a few plants in the polytunnel, so we''ll see. They are part of this years experimental. If they are a waste of space then we we still have plenty of runner beans I hope.

07/07/2013 at 21:24

Fidgetbones.I'm also trying Hyacinth beans and Black Eye Cowpea apparently they are sensitve to heat changes, your beans might be the same. 

I've plenty of seeds left to try again next year...might try growing them in the plastic GH  next year if they don't do well...nothing ventured, nothing gained....

Happy growing

email image
9 messages