Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Blueberry bush lost all its leaves

For her birthday in the spring I bought my aged ma a blueberry bush.  It's about 2 - 3' tall, with about 5 main stems, in a pot (too small for it) of ericaceous compost.  It's  produced a little fruit.   Last week it lost all its leaves and is looking a bit sorry for itself.  Is this likely to be early autumnal leaf fall or is something wrong?  She's been watering it assiduously all summer - possibly too much at times?

Any ideas?  Apart from potting it on, how do I prune it?

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Leaf Drop is  always caused by stress of some kind.

Usually by Under/Over watering. My blueberry bush is still in full leaf.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Apparently the leaves started to go brown shortly after that very wet week we had, so I suspect over-watering - not sure the pot is too well drained....but don't they like wet soil??   It's in a very sunny spot.

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Drainage issues kill a lot of plants, learned this mistake. I always make sure theres a good size hole at the bottom of the pot, and I only put 1 crock over this hole.

This stops a build up of soil around the hole and means the water can drain away easily.

Yes.  When I repot it I'll do that.

• I did read that you should only water blueberries with rain water e.g. from a but, not from the tap

Yes - Mum knows that.  It's cos (hard) tap water is alkaline and blueberries need acidic conditions.  Could well be underwatering too - or more likely, inconsistent watering.   A much bigger pot will help this too I s'pose.

• Bluebs don't like tap water. Get her to try giving them rainwater 

She is.  Do keep upimage.

Actually since it now has nary a leaf it won't need watering till spring anyway.

• snowy43snowy43 Posts: 118

My blueberry in a pot had done really well this year, gave 3 kg of fruit, and looks very healthy. I have, dare I say it, watered it with tap water, but have fed it regularly with ericaceous feed. It needs some pruning, so will look at the RHS site. Thanks Buddyboy.

Hope your Mum's blueberry bush gets better, Steve.