Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

borlotti beans

can anyone advise please?

I have borlotti bean seedlings growing well on top of my kitchen cupboards - now roughly 8inches tall with leaves. do i repot to bigger pots and stake, inside?

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I agree with Pansy, I sowed my seeds yesterday. They will be planted out Mid to end of May.

I would grow some more if it were me, but then, had it been me I wouldnt have planted so early.  Another month and yours will be pretty tall! 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I grow them each year, mine have just germinated in 3" pots in the conservatory, tomorrow I will put them in the GH and harden off outside each day and plant when I'm sure the frosts have done. I haven't prepared my bean bed yet image

Edd I get a good crop and love them cooked in Greek based mealsimage

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I think they a bit more tender than runner beans so I'd wait until late may. I tried growing them,they didn't do very well because it was cold.
  • Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

Here I sow them directly outside... they do like warm soil... there was an old rule of thumb that you sow the beans (outside) when the lilacs are blooming, and I find it answers pretty well image

• GillygeeGillygee Posts: 28

thanks for all answers! i will shift to bigger pots and keep inside for mo.. and yes, you're probably right that i planted a tad early - oh well, live and learn..

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138
    Katherine W wrote (see)

Here I sow them directly outside... they do like warm soil... there was an old rule of thumb that you sow the beans (outside) when the lilacs are blooming, and I find it answers pretty well image

Katherine - where is 'here' ?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

Oh, I thought it'd show from my profile or somewhere, I am sorry, here it's SW France. That is why I like the blooming lilac rule, it really relates to the local climate instead of being a "one size fits all (not)" sort of rule image