Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bramley apples

Hi everyone, just wondering what to do with my apples that were shaken off the tree a week ago. Does anyone know if they would be ripe enough to use, seems a waste not to use them.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Boil up a little bit with some sugar and taste, When I lived in Kent, I used to swap apples for plums and other veg, maybe you can do that.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Bramleys tend to be ready about late Sept to early Oct in my garden but many have already been dropping so I will stew some presently. They are much smaller in average size than usual too. It seems an odd year altogether.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Picked ours last week, ripe too. As suggested, purée and freeze for winter use or if unbruised by the fall, core, fill with dried fruit and syrup and bake in the oven. Then freeze for winter use.

• Thank you, common sense really, Berghill, I'm in the West Midlands so I suppose similar weather. I've never frozen apples, will give it a go.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

I live on frozen apple purée and frozen baked apples in the winter. Well at least for desserts anyway.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Apple leather is great.  Bob Flowerdew of course.

Peel, core and stew the apples.  Add sugar if you must but it's fine without, if a little tart.  Spread on greased (or not) baking trays and dry in a very slow oven, in the bottom of the oven or on top of the grill while it's on for something else; even on top of saucepans, a wood-burning stove or even on a radiator (once you have them on!)

Once it's dried it should have the consistency of leather.  Peel it off the baking trays, cut it into squares or whatever shape takes your fancy, and store in a plastic box.  It keeps for ever.   Eat like sweets, or chop more finely and mix with muesli etc  etc.

• Bramleys make the best scrumpy cider. An apple press.