Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Brassicas

Hi, I posted on here a while back about my btussel sprout seedlings dying, well the same is happening to my kale and my purple sprouting! I sowed them as directed on the packet and they germinated, and have been growing away fine but just as they begin to grow their first true leaves they start to shrivel! I thought maybe my greenhouse was too warm but they have continued to die on my cool spare room windowsill! All three varieties of brassica are now on their way out and I'm at a loss as to what I've done wrong? Do you think its worth sowing more? Or shall i just buy plants? Any advice on growing or on what I've done would be gratefully recieved! e wrong would br gratefully

• I posted using my phone so please excuse the errors in my previous post!
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I can only think they are too  warm.

• iGrowiGrow Posts: 183
    Are you over watering?
  • Hi,

I thought they might be too warm so i moved them, and they have continued to die, and i also have reduced watering - to np avail image
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Can you post a pic please - that might give us some clues. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I will try.
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Damping off maybe, water from underneath and only when the compost is dry to the touch.

• My broccoli has a light yellowy edgers on the leaves any ideas to what this could be imageimage

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

I planted broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower in Feb, and germinated in a propagator, and they popped up, but then shrivelled once I potted on.  I planted the same seeds in an unheated greenhouse three or four weeks ago, and bingo, I have lots of little plants.  Someone said at the time I had planted too early and the centrally heated environment of the house, plus not so much light had done for them.  Now, outside, the same seeds are fine.  Some have even gone into the beds.  Trial and error it was for me.

• Il try that then, the problem is I'm wondering if it gets too hot in my greenhouse!