London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 17°C
13 messages
24/04/2014 at 23:30
Hi, I posted on here a while back about my btussel sprout seedlings dying, well the same is happening to my kale and my purple sprouting! I sowed them as directed on the packet and they germinated, and have been growing away fine but just as they begin to grow their first true leaves they start to shrivel! I thought maybe my greenhouse was too warm but they have continued to die on my cool spare room windowsill! All three varieties of brassica are now on their way out and I'm at a loss as to what I've done wrong? Do you think its worth sowing more? Or shall i just buy plants? Any advice on growing or on what I've done would be gratefully recieved! e wrong would br gratefully
24/04/2014 at 23:31
I posted using my phone so please excuse the errors in my previous post!
24/04/2014 at 23:33

I can only think they are too  warm.

25/04/2014 at 04:46
Are you over watering?
25/04/2014 at 07:32
Hi,

I thought they might be too warm so i moved them, and they have continued to die, and i also have reduced watering - to np avail
25/04/2014 at 07:33

Can you post a pic please - that might give us some clues. 

25/04/2014 at 08:56
I will try.
25/04/2014 at 10:03

Damping off maybe, water from underneath and only when the compost is dry to the touch.

25/04/2014 at 20:34

My broccoli has a light yellowy edgers on the leaves any ideas to what this could be 

25/04/2014 at 21:04

I planted broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower in Feb, and germinated in a propagator, and they popped up, but then shrivelled once I potted on.  I planted the same seeds in an unheated greenhouse three or four weeks ago, and bingo, I have lots of little plants.  Someone said at the time I had planted too early and the centrally heated environment of the house, plus not so much light had done for them.  Now, outside, the same seeds are fine.  Some have even gone into the beds.  Trial and error it was for me.

26/04/2014 at 08:03
Il try that then, the problem is I'm wondering if it gets too hot in my greenhouse!
26/04/2014 at 08:11

I planted out sprouts several weeks ago; they looked very sad initially, but have revived. Do remember to cover them with netting to protect from birds when planted out. The only things left in the greenhouse at the moment are very tender, like Morning Glory.

26/04/2014 at 08:14

I grow very few brassicas now, but in the past I always sowed them in a seedbed in the veg patch.   I found that they grew into sturdy seedlings and were ready to plant out at the same time as those started inside earlier by other gardeners - the only problem was slugs and pigeons - lots of sharp grit incorporated into the seedbed seemed to deter most of the slugs - beer traps got the others.  Nets kept the pigeons off.

Most brassicas are hardy in the UK and prefer cooler temperatures rather than beng molly-coddled.

email image
13 messages