21 to 37 of 37 messages
28/05/2013 at 23:31

Every year I grow my beans up metal arches - very negligible cost and easy enough to move to different areas each year. It started in my previous garden where there was no other room. The arch this year cost about £10 from a discount shop, I find they last about 3 years or so.

This year the arch goes down the side of my legumes bed and underneath the arch are my broad beans - I hope,- have been away and too wet to look today. Will post picture tomorrow

29/05/2013 at 10:43

Matty, would love to see photos

29/05/2013 at 11:55

I think this beans growing up arches is more widespread than previously thought...

We gardeners are always coming up with ideas to squeeze more plants in I think, as most people have fairly small gardens. I always welcome any ingenious ideas.

29/05/2013 at 12:44

Here is my arch. I have had total disaster with runner bean germination this year and am now going to have to resort to buying some seedlings.

Arch still needs centre support and will usually grow 6 beans up it. 

Last year I did it so you could walk underneath, this year using space for broad beans. They are called 'The Sutton' and do ot grow tall - no need of support etc and taste good

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24236.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24237.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

When broad beans have finished will replace by dwarf beans and lettuce

29/05/2013 at 16:14

M2, it looks very elegant; might look for arches in the autumn when they hopefully will be going cheap

29/05/2013 at 16:22

M2, is yours the Argos one currently reduced from £30 to £15? It has pretty mixed reviews regards durability and strength.

29/05/2013 at 16:29

No - I just bought it from a local discount store - would not have paid more than £10. I think Wilkinsons have some similar now.

I go for cheap and except they will not last that long. BUT they do look decorative in a small space and I wish this year I had thought of positioning it to give a decent garden view  - not compost bins 

29/05/2013 at 17:36

Compost bins are VERY important

29/05/2013 at 18:03

29/05/2013 at 21:06

M2. Very nice.

I secure a cane in between the two poles and grow extra beans that way, two to a pole and two up the cane.

Santa brought 3 arches a couple of years ago

If you cement the legs into pop bottles and bury them down about 1ft it's a very stable structure, barely moves in the wind.

Is that a wiget in the bottom left hand corner, another good idea for the tops of canes.

29/05/2013 at 22:31

That's one of these ball things to hold up the butterfly netting on brassicas, This year i bought some proper metal upright poles as the canes were not strong enough - so far, seem to work

The  bamboo hoops are my pea sticks.

30/05/2013 at 00:13

matty you are like me when I first started, trust me, buy a spirit level near 3 ft in length. I made several raised beds and when I watered it all went to one corner! When you build the bed, use the level, looks much better too! And it means you digging out typically an extra few mins.. I think I paid maybe 12 quid, but it's a tool for life, so really it's quite cheap.

30/05/2013 at 20:18

BB, I agree, a spirit level is a friend for life, BUT, I was going to paint a mural (which is what I do ) in the US Virgin Islands, arrived on a tiny plane with my client who was clutching my big spirit level wrapped in bubblewrap, the very severe customs lady said 'What is that?' and all of us Brits said, 'It's a spirit level'. She looked a bit concerned and waived us through. I later learnt that in the US they call it a level. I think she thought that we were going to do seances around this thing.

05/06/2013 at 17:24

My vegetable garden was turned over to my hens when the surrounding woodland trees got so big that they kept sun off it for most of the day.

I now grow my runner beans up canes in front of the brickwork pillars of my garage - three plants to each 18" trough. The containers look far too small, and indeed they do have to be watered every day in hot weather, but we get pounds and pounds of beans every year. I plant Suttons "Best of All" and they have never let me down.

05/06/2013 at 17:30

Lordswood, are these troughs 18" wide/ deep? Is it homemade compost ?

05/06/2013 at 17:59

Hi artjak

Bog standard terracotta coloured plastic troughs about 18" long 6" wide and deep (any bigger and I wouldn't be able to open the up and over doors). Homebase grow bag as compost.

I water with 1/2 strength tomato feed every other watering once the plants  get going and 1/2 strength Phostrogen once a week as I feel the tomato feed may be lacking some of the trace elements.

The garage is south facing and plants do sometimes wilt when it's very sunny due to being against the hot brickwork, but they soon recover once the sun's off them.

05/06/2013 at 20:52

Phostrogen seems like a good idea

email image
21 to 37 of 37 messages