London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
2 messages
09/07/2013 at 14:07

Hi All

I have just harvested my brocolli crop which has matured all at the same time and needed to be frozen rather than refrigerated because there was so much.  My fault for not planting a smaller crop in various successions so as not to get the glut.  They were all about to turn to seed so I had no choice but to freeze.  Shame because prior to this were absolutely deilicious and there is nothing like straight from the garden brocolli. 

Anyway I have got some little calabrese seedlings which are ready to move from a seedbed.  (I have never tried "calabrese" before)   Would it be ok to plant them on the brocolli pitch this season if I were to gently rake in some slow release fertiliser or should they be planted elsewhere?  The alternative is the lettuce plot which (again ) matured all at the same time!!   I could plant them at the allotment but that has only recently been manured and I think I am right in saying it could be too acidic.

Any ideas?  Next year I shall mark my calendar and try to sow seeds in batches.

Cheers

09/07/2013 at 16:41

Best to follow broad beans with calabrese (summer broccoli)

You shouldn't follow brassicas with brassicas as it leads to a build up of disease. They should be ok after the  lettuce if that is the only other space.

email image
2 messages