London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
11 messages
30/05/2014 at 19:20
Hi everyone, I transplanted some tomato plants that I've grown from seed, to a terracotta pot about 1 week ago. I have just checked on the two plants in the pot, and I can see brown blotches on one set of the leaves. Since transplanting them into the part the weather has been awful, only 8c overnight or 15c in the day, with plenty of rain every day. But all of the other plants that are also outside and exposed to the weather are fine and do not have brown spots. I'm not sure that it is blight, as that is described as being brown with concentric black circles, but these do not have that and they are also less 'spots' and more blotches. Also the spots are not on lower leaves as described with blight. They have been planted into Miracle Gro Fruit & Veg compost with a liner in the pot to retain the moisture. This is the only difference between this pot and the other plants that are still in their 10cm pots awaiting transplanting. Any ideas? Please see pic here. Note the leaves on the right near the bamboo cane: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/hmxpuf3eswa75tz/AADxlhe6nw4jufUWySs9eWcRa Many thanks! Lauren
30/05/2014 at 19:40

Hi Lauren - I've downloaded your pic and included it below so it can be seen more easily - hope that's OK.

It might be a bacterial leaf spot.  This page is pretty good for ID etc:

http://www.maine.gov/dacf/php/gotpests/diseases/tomato-problems.htm

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/47515.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

30/05/2014 at 19:46
That's very kind of you Bob, I could figure out how to do it!

Thank you, I will take a look at the site
30/05/2014 at 22:50

I was about to post the same. Healthy plants of 2 varieties in expensive compost and yet browny rust spots! Never seen it before, mine are inside a green plastic greenhouse and I have the door open! It's worrying me, not sure what to do!!!

30/05/2014 at 23:01

Regardless of which disease is present, I have found the best way to deal with tomato leaf problems is to remove any affected leaves and burn them or throw them in the household rubbish bin - never put them in a compost bin.  I've even managed to keep plants affected with late blight going this way, although they did look very, very sorry for themselves!

30/05/2014 at 23:54

I totally agree with Bob.

I am not condemning anyone, but.  The simplest and most affective method, if and when seeing damaged or spoted leaves.  Pick'em off.  Honestly, if you start buying expensive sprays etc.  The old bank balance will soon go into the red.  With gardening.  You never stop learning.  Be drastic. something offends you.  Get shott of it.

KEF
31/05/2014 at 06:28

I usually end up with some degree of leaf trouble on toms so I do as already suggested remove the leaf. Doesn't seem to have any impact on actual tomatoes. I would have a look under the leaf as sometimes the problem is aphids, there seems to be a lot around just now.  

31/05/2014 at 14:43
I've been through all of my plants and found some other effected ones too, although as bad as the one in the pic.

Have removed all leaves and will keep my fingers crossed!

Thanks everyone
01/06/2014 at 09:18

Looks like Early Blight to me. As above, you can only pick off the affected leaves as soon as the very first signs emerge. The longer you leave it, the more you risk denuding your plant.

Spraying is only an option if you spray preventively - before symptoms appear. Once the symptoms appear, no spray will cure the problem.

01/06/2014 at 09:41

why not sign up to Blightwatch?

05/06/2014 at 10:26

I read something on RHS website that it to do with extremes of temperature between the night and daytime which would certainly make sense.

email image
11 messages