Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Brussel sprouts help

I am new to growing brussel sprouts and could do with some help. The plant itself is growing quite well but I am just a little stuck. Do I leave the leaves as they are or do I need to trim them back to the stalk to make room for the sprouts to grow. Or is there anything else that I need to do. Thank you.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

You don't need to do anything to the leaves.  Just make sure the plants are firmed well into the soil so they don't blow about in the wind.  Use a stake/tomato cane if necessary.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you. I have seen pictures of the plant when the sprouts have grown. Is that when I should trim the leaves or like you say just leave it.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Many of the leaves tend to go yellowish and drop off naturally as the sprouts form - if they don't fall off I have always left them on until harvesting the sprouts as I feel it gives them a bit of protection from the worst of the winter weather. 

Harvest the sprouts working from the bottom to the top, and when you've had the last ones, don't forget to cut the bunch of leaves at the top and use them as spring greens - delicious image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• That's brilliant. Thank you very much. image
  • Over the last couple of years days the leaves have been dropping off by themselves, just like you said. The sprouts are forming nicely too. image