London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
5 messages
03/02/2014 at 16:50

Now I know this may be crazy, but brussel sprouts (indeed all brassicas) take up alot of space for a long time. I have 60 or 70 large clay pots stored at the back of the garage doing nothing year after year. Could I (It's a big ask!) Could I pop the Brussels in a Large Clay pot of ordinary soil (so nice and firm) ,and grow them on in a group lining the veg plot instead of in it?? Playing with this idea as I really need to free up space, and I have grown potatoes really successfully in  pots before. I could fleece wrap the pots in winter to avoid cracking. Any thoughts?

03/02/2014 at 19:10

Not sure how this would save space?  Pots all around the perimeter of the veg plot - you might just as well enlarge the veg plot by the width of a pot and plant them in the soil around the veg plot, then they'd have a better chance - I've never found garden soil in a pot works terribly well - it has a tendency to turn to mud when watered and concrete when dry. 

03/02/2014 at 19:11

Even if they grow OK in pots (and I'm very dubious about that), they might be more trouble than they're worth, biofreak.  Brussels are very top-heavy and unless you tied them to horizontal wires or something they would be constantly being blown-over.

03/02/2014 at 20:19

I was trying to work out how to tetris my sprouts in to, do they intercrop well with sweetcorn? or anything else?

04/02/2014 at 15:18

I have a Pot Garden which includes some veg in Summer. The Potager is surrounded by herbs and fruit so no space there. Horizontal wires I had not thought of, not compaction of soil! Back to the drawing board I think, unless? - Thanks Mandy - can I intercrop Brussels with anything?

email image
5 messages