Start a new thread

1 to 5 of 5 replies

Now I know this may be crazy, but brussel sprouts (indeed all brassicas) take up alot of space for a long time. I have 60 or 70 large clay pots stored at the back of the garage doing nothing year after year. Could I (It's a big ask!) Could I pop the Brussels in a Large Clay pot of ordinary soil (so nice and firm) ,and grow them on in a group lining the veg plot instead of in it?? Playing with this idea as I really need to free up space, and I have grown potatoes really successfully in  pots before. I could fleece wrap the pots in winter to avoid cracking. Any thoughts?

Not sure how this would save space?  Pots all around the perimeter of the veg plot - you might just as well enlarge the veg plot by the width of a pot and plant them in the soil around the veg plot, then they'd have a better chance - I've never found garden soil in a pot works terribly well - it has a tendency to turn to mud when watered and concrete when dry. 

Even if they grow OK in pots (and I'm very dubious about that), they might be more trouble than they're worth, biofreak.  Brussels are very top-heavy and unless you tied them to horizontal wires or something they would be constantly being blown-over.

Crazy Tomato Lady

I was trying to work out how to tetris my sprouts in to, do they intercrop well with sweetcorn? or anything else?

I have a Pot Garden which includes some veg in Summer. The Potager is surrounded by herbs and fruit so no space there. Horizontal wires I had not thought of, not compaction of soil! Back to the drawing board I think, unless? - Thanks Mandy - can I intercrop Brussels with anything?