London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
8 messages
18/10/2012 at 20:28

Hi all, ive grown bulb fennel on my allotment this year for the first time,does anyone have a way of cooking, other than using with  fish.

18/10/2012 at 21:16

Remove the stems and slice legthwise into 6 pieces; coat with oil and season; roast @ 400*F for 25 min or until caramelized. Delicious done around the roast, especially pork.

19/10/2012 at 07:34

It's lovely diced in casseroles. Definitely recommend roasting as suggested by Inkadog. It also makes a lovely addition to home-made coleslaw or any other salad as an alternative to celery.

19/10/2012 at 07:46

Or follow a recipe for braised celery, substituting fennel.

By the way, I can heartily endorse Inkadog's suggestion - fabulous with pork - I often put some underneath a couple of pork chops then bake in the oven 

19/10/2012 at 10:27

I use it in salads, baked with Parmesan (recipe on BBC Food site), added in chunks to roast Mediterranean veggies or, my favourite:-

Baked Fennel with Goat's Cheese 4 or more, depending

adapted from a recipe by Pru Leith. 

This quantity is for 4 as a vegetarian meal. It's also good with simply grilled pork, chicken or fish. 

4              bulbs of fennel

30g          butter

1              lemon, juice only

4 tbs        water

6              sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained

30g          pine nuts

150g         goats' cheese log

Heat the oven to 200C.   Trim the fennel and cut through the middle into 2 and then cut each half again 2 or 3 times to make wedges.   Place these in a shallow oven-proof dish.  Sprinkle on the lemon juice and water and cook in the microwave for 10 minutes.   Drain.

Slice the tomatoes and sprinkle over the fennel, followed by the pine nuts and crumbled goats' cheese.   Drizzle with olive oil (from the tomatoes if you have some) and bake for 15 to 20 minutes till the cheese is browned.

19/10/2012 at 12:27

Thankyou all I will certainly try the pork. Baked with goats cheese and chicken ill pass this one to OH

19/10/2012 at 13:11

Thry this, delicious!

Potato and fennel dauphinoise Serves:  6 Ingredients: 

1 kg Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and sliced about 1cm thick
1 Bulb fennel, finely chopped
1 Clove garlic, finely chopped
300ml Double cream
300ml Milk
100g Gruyere, grated
75g Parmesan, grated
Salt and pepper

Method: 

Heat oven to 200C.

In an ovenproof dish, layer the potatoes, fennel and garlic.

In a bowl, mix together the cream, milk, 75g of the gruyere and the parmesan. Season then pour this over the potatoes and fennel.

Cook in the oven for about 50 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Sprinkle over the rest of the gruyere and finish off under a hot grill until golden brown.

Serve with chicken, pork and fish dishes.

19/10/2012 at 13:22

I grew some lovely Fennel bulbs this year. I braised some - it was lovely apart from it reminded me too much of the drink I have to have before my CT scans I am not in a hurry to eat it again

Pam LL x

email image
8 messages