Start a new thread

1 to 5 of 5 replies

Am I right in thinking I can eat carrot tops as a veggie?  If so any culinery geniuses out there who can tell me what to do with them please?

The same goes for japonica, can I use the ornamental japonica in quince recipes as a substitute for quince? 

Welshonion

I would be a bit wary about eating carrot tops.  There are differing opinions as to whether they are poisonous or not.  They certainly are for horses.

Yes you can use japonica as a substitute for quince, but if you have ever seen or used  the large quinces you might see them as a poor substitute.  Cydonia (?? Not sure that is correct) are in some greengrocers now.

Dovefromabove

Best use for carrot tops that I know is to feed them to guinea pigs - they love them   I give mine to a friend who has guinea pigs and she gives me their 'manure' for my compost heap - the best activator there is!

I use quartered japonica fruits as flavouring with cooked apples for jelly or with a filling for a pie etc but I remove them before serving as they are a bit tough.  They impart a wonderful flavour and aroma when quartered and cooked with a pot-roasted pheasant.  They're not as good as the real quince, but if you've got some, use them 

Busy-Lizzie

I 've looked on several internet sites which say you can eat carrot tops, in fact they are highly nutritious. But they contain an alkaloid which makes them a bit bitter and may upset the tummy of someone who is actually allergic to them. Dandelions are bitter, yet the French love them and put them in salads.

I have a horse and horses love carrot tops, so I looked that up too as Welshoinion says they are poisonous to horses. All sites said horses love them and can eat them in moderation (must be like children with sweets!) I know deer and rabbits eat them as they've stripped them in my veg garden in the past.

Thanx all for the advice...don't know anyone with guinea pigs so I'll miss that bit out and bung the carrot tops in the compost instead!   I remember telling my nephew that you could eat ground elder and he just broke some off and ate it...he said that was bitter as I stood there with my mouth open!!!  I'v used that sort of thing to put kids off grabbing a poisonous leaf and devouring too.