London (change)
Today 19°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
5 messages
08/11/2012 at 23:20

Am I right in thinking I can eat carrot tops as a veggie?  If so any culinery geniuses out there who can tell me what to do with them please?

The same goes for japonica, can I use the ornamental japonica in quince recipes as a substitute for quince? 

09/11/2012 at 01:09

I would be a bit wary about eating carrot tops.  There are differing opinions as to whether they are poisonous or not.  They certainly are for horses.

Yes you can use japonica as a substitute for quince, but if you have ever seen or used  the large quinces you might see them as a poor substitute.  Cydonia (?? Not sure that is correct) are in some greengrocers now.

09/11/2012 at 07:31

Best use for carrot tops that I know is to feed them to guinea pigs - they love them   I give mine to a friend who has guinea pigs and she gives me their 'manure' for my compost heap - the best activator there is!

I use quartered japonica fruits as flavouring with cooked apples for jelly or with a filling for a pie etc but I remove them before serving as they are a bit tough.  They impart a wonderful flavour and aroma when quartered and cooked with a pot-roasted pheasant.  They're not as good as the real quince, but if you've got some, use them 

09/11/2012 at 09:02

I 've looked on several internet sites which say you can eat carrot tops, in fact they are highly nutritious. But they contain an alkaloid which makes them a bit bitter and may upset the tummy of someone who is actually allergic to them. Dandelions are bitter, yet the French love them and put them in salads.

I have a horse and horses love carrot tops, so I looked that up too as Welshoinion says they are poisonous to horses. All sites said horses love them and can eat them in moderation (must be like children with sweets!) I know deer and rabbits eat them as they've stripped them in my veg garden in the past.

09/11/2012 at 14:18

Thanx all for the advice...don't know anyone with guinea pigs so I'll miss that bit out and bung the carrot tops in the compost instead!   I remember telling my nephew that you could eat ground elder and he just broke some off and ate it...he said that was bitter as I stood there with my mouth open!!!  I'v used that sort of thing to put kids off grabbing a poisonous leaf and devouring too.

email image
5 messages