Start a new thread

Can anyone advise me on sowing late carrot seeds, so as to avoid carrot root fly? I am particularly thinking of the open ground, where it wouldn't be practical to use fleece.I am aware that later sowings are usually ok, but last year I sowed on June 2nd and they were riddled with tunnels. Would late June be a safer bet, I wonder?  I might add my main spring and summer crops I grow in boxes, where I use fleece most successfully. 

BobTheGardener

I think you sowed them at what is usually the right time but the seasons were all late year which probably didn't help.  If the weather is normal (whatever that is - I've forgotten!) next spring, try again in early June, otherwise late June/early July.  Lot's of carrot fly advice here:

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/factsheets/pc17.php

From my own experience I think there's a lot more carrot fly about these days than there used to be so best of luck!

companion planting could help,plant onions and garlic in between the rows or hyssop etc,stops the carrot fly from sniffing them out

artjak

A neighbour uses fleece even on open bed. Or make a raised barrier about 30 or 40 cm high with fleece/polythene attached to canes as carrot fly are very low flying and a barrier should stop them.