London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 16°C
6 messages
08/08/2013 at 13:15

I've had this cauliflower growing in the bed since August last year! 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29011.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

It hasn't produced a head at all. Do you think it will now or won't it? Also why hasn't it????

any clues ?

08/08/2013 at 19:32

I'm no expert in cauliflowers and I'm just going to give your post a little bump up the line, but are you sure that it's a cauliflower?

09/08/2013 at 19:32

Haha yeah it definitely is a cauliflower plant I bought a pack of them last August and this is the only survivor after the bloomin wood pigeons! Plus I grew some summer cauliflowers and they're identical but smaller, they also produced!

im in too minds whether to leave and prey and dig it out and compost it.

10/08/2013 at 14:49

I'm no expert - but I know some cauliflower seedlings are 'blind' and don't produce curds ( a head ). You can always eat the leaves like cabbage!

10/08/2013 at 15:11

Pigeons or slugs etc eating the growing point will make them 'blind' too.  I think cauli's are the hardest of the brassicas to grow well - they need regular watering or will bolt, good feeding or crop will be poor and weather variations can affect them adversely, too. I rarely bother with these fussy plants these days and grow several types of broccoli instead - much easier and most of those also produce decent side shoots after the main head is cut - a brassica that keeps on giving!

12/09/2013 at 23:35

all mine did this i endedbup pulling them as all i was getting was catapillars 

email image
6 messages