London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
12 messages
17/05/2013 at 11:06

Cooked first Celeriac last crimbo with garlic,chillie and cream mmm , now hooked on this ugly veg . Since then Celeriac price risen by about 50p ! So anyway just got an allotment this year and i fancy growing some from seed ,is it too late? any tips please,love this forum.cheers.

17/05/2013 at 17:31

You may be lucky or it was just my incompetence, but I have never grown a celeriac larger than a very small tennis ball.  One of those vegetables I find it better to buy than grow.

19/05/2013 at 09:09

Thx Welshonion , done a bit more research and it seems like i'll be getting ripped off at the supermarkets for a long time.Planted the seeds anyway, may get lucky

19/05/2013 at 14:24

They're a challenge to grow. They need plenty of warm weather but very damp soil. I read somewhere once that they had their origins in swamplike conditions. Like Welshonion, I gave up. Apart from never getting a decent sized root, it's simply too hot here in summer for them.

19/05/2013 at 16:10

Thx Italophile. Thought you were being sarcastic "too hot here in summer" then saw your location , lucky you

19/05/2013 at 17:20

Yes, I'm lucky living here in very many ways. Except in cases like a couple of years ago when it was so achingly hot for such extended periods - low-40s for six weeks or so - that most of my tomato flowers just fried on the plants.

20/05/2013 at 00:06

I'm no expert and happy to be wrong but depending on the variety it isn't to late to sow, I'm growing Monarch which can be sown indoors Feb to April. I sowed in a plastic GH in April and surprisingly nearly every seed has come up but they are not at the true leaf stage yet and still very tiny.

I'm growing it for the 2nd year as an over wintering veg and last year just got lots of top growth but very little underground. Me thinks this is a tricky veg to grow and going to depend on the weather we get over the summer.

I'd advise to sow in modules and under cover.

20/05/2013 at 15:24

I grew celeriac successfully last year but I cheated & got some plugs off ebay at the end of May - so somebody had done the difficult bit of getting them started. Worked out at about 30p per plant.

21/05/2013 at 18:02

I'm with welshonion, I have never got a Celeriac bigger than a tennis ball either. They are a lovely veg though. You can bake them, fry them, steam them even mash them in with your mash potato, so versatile. 

21/05/2013 at 19:21

Thanks all , i've put the seeds in pots covered with plastic bottles in a cold frame and crossed my fingers eh oh ! i bake them with cream,garlic and a few chilli flakes,salt n pepper like a potato dauphinoise from lord hugh fearnley double barrel , should i be on a food & drink forum ?

21/05/2013 at 19:29

Can I come & do the wine tasting please...? hic 

21/05/2013 at 19:59

no prob ! although i don't have a drinks license so it's BYO

email image
12 messages