London (change)
Fri 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 7°C
14 messages
19/09/2013 at 12:13

Hi

Has anyone grown celeriac before or regulary and have any tips on gaining a successful crop?

I've tried growing it for the first time this year and found that although I have some very healthy looking plants, I'm not seeing any real swelling of the root itself! They're still only the size of a small tennis ball.

Apart from Celeriac i've also had problems with beetroot this year with regards to swelling of the roots or lack of as i have found! Everything else is growing great though carrots are a fantastic success and the parsnips are expanding rapidly at the crown, although length wise I wont know till lifting time!

19/09/2013 at 12:58

Hi, re celeriac. They need lots of water and potash based fertilizer. It is not advisable to grow them near carrots, fennel, parsnips or parsley. Do not harvest before end October.When the tuber has reached the size of a walnut, remove so much earth around the tuber so as to expose the upper roots. The development of the tubers is stimulated by the drying up of the upper roots.

Can't help you with the beetroot I'm afraid. I grew them once and they were all bitter, so never tried again!

20/09/2013 at 07:23

Celeriac's origins are marsh-based. They want lots of water and sun and need a long growing season. Removing the outer foliage growth, leaving a core of foliage in the centre, will direct the plant's energy to tuber growth rather than foliage growth.

Conversely, beetroot doesn't need a lot of water. Just lots of sun and enough space between the plants to give the the beetroot room to develop.

23/09/2013 at 22:15

Yes , lots of water for the roots to swell , it may not be too late try drowning them at regular intervals - you know what i mean -n a bit like our  summers we had before this one!

23/09/2013 at 23:03

I'm also growing Celeriac, 2nd yr for me, not to successful last yr, the plants didn't get watered regularly and bolted. This yr they are looking good, will remove the outer leaves, uncover more of the root and carry on with the watering.

I was growing Celeriac as an over winter veg, can some be left in the ground and picked later?

24/09/2013 at 08:10

I tried overwintering a few years ago when I was growing celeriac. (I gave up simply because it gets too hot here in summer for it) They survived the winter with plenty of protection from the cold but bolted pretty quickly as soon some warmth arrived.

24/09/2013 at 22:13

Italophile. I planted mine out late..ish but started them off in modules...me hopes they will be ready to harvest late October. I was thinking will they store in the ground to be picked through the winter if not how is the best way to store them.

On the topic of over winter vegs...silly Q...but is there any veg which can grown to be left in the veg bed and then picked over winter.

25/09/2013 at 07:36

You should be able to store them the same way you'd store any root veg - kept cool in a box of damp (not wet) sand or similar.

I keep silver beet going through winter under a small tent of fleece. About the best green for the winter is Cavolo Nero (or Black Tuscan Cabbage or sundry other names). I grow it through the winter without covering it. Even snow doesn't bother it.

25/09/2013 at 11:09

Thanks for all the replies, I've moved the soil away from round the sides and started a more thorough watering regime see if that produces any results!

25/09/2013 at 20:03

Will look out for CN seeds for next year.

26/09/2013 at 00:06

To be honest, I think it's a crop that is best left to the professional.  If they are still small now, there's not much time for them to grow much bigger.

26/09/2013 at 00:09

Zoomer, there are lots of greens that go through the winter.  And best of all, leeks.

26/09/2013 at 02:31

I've experimented with leaving a few veg in over winter, as I hate to see an empty bed, or for veg to rot in storage (and I always forget to check them often enough, out of sight, out of mind!) It all seems to depend on the weather. I left in carrots, celery,beetroot, and turnips last yr, allunder fleece (later sowings, except the celery). All were fine (in Ayr) and lifted by march. The celery had gone soft on the outer stems but wer fine further in.

This was apart from the normal Kale, broccoli, cabbage and leeks, onions and garlic.

On celeriac, can't help, tried my first this yr but was a bit late sowing (Was given a pack and just shoved them out on a bare patch!) and then too late thinning, but will take on board the advice above for nxt yr, thanks.

Beetroot. Mine were rubbish last yr in the long wet summer, but carrots were huge. This yr, the beets great, carrots small, some woody and some bolted in the heat. Sowed a very late crop and they are already promising to be better, if only small baby ones in the time they have left to grow.Going from your experience, Moggy, I'm confused, as they seem to be going in opposite ways!

26/09/2013 at 06:46
Welshonion wrote (see)

To be honest, I think it's a crop that is best left to the professional.  If they are still small now, there's not much time for them to grow much bigger.

I tend to agree. They take a long time, need ideal conditions and care, and you can still end up with something golf ball-size. The only reason I tried growing celeriac was because it's near impossible to buy in central Italy. It's found a bit more in the north.

email image
14 messages