4 messages
10/08/2012 at 07:42

We love celeriac but last year and this have not been good. Both years have produced great top growth. Last year there was nothing underneath, this year they are starting to go to seed, still not forming anything edible. We sow in modules and transplant and ensure they are well watered throughout the growing season. This has worked well before. Any ideas what is going wrong?

Thank you

10/08/2012 at 07:57

We love celeriac, too, but eventually gave up on it here in central Italy. They need warmth but it's just too hot for them here in summer regardless of how much water I poured on them. In my experience, a lack of root (bulb) development is usually a sign of a lack of nutrients. They're pretty heavy feeders, they love a nice, rich soil, and some fertiliser along the way. Insufficient warmth can also be a factor.

10/08/2012 at 17:01

I too have had trouble with Celeriac. I only managed to get one to grow, the seed just wouldn't germinate. Last year they did germinate but like you nick they had great top growth but nothing underneath. I won't give up though, I will have another go next year because they are a fantastic veg for steaming, roasting, mashing in with potatoes etc. The weather this year just hasn't helped at all, thats what I think it is.

10/08/2012 at 20:28

We do try to prepare the bed well before planting, but as you suggest donutsmrs, the weather has been far from ideal this year. We shall keep them going and keep our fingers crossed

email image
4 messages