London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
7 messages
28/02/2012 at 08:59

Hi,

I've just started to grow some chilli plants at home from seed. I'm not a particulary experienced, I planted the seeds in a peat based compost (75% I think) and they are in a small propogator.

The seeds have just started to come through which is great, I saw a video on GW though that recomended using a non-peat based soil for chilli plants. When I transfer the plants to pots when the leaves are a little more developed would it be advisable to use a non-peat based soil?

Just wondering if it is likely to shock the plants/kill them/if I can still get good results sticking with my original peat-based soil.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

28/02/2012 at 14:20

Hello saybut, I,m growing chillies in my propagator too. Mine have just appeared today, well, 2 of them. They are in a multi purpose compost that does contain some peat. I shall be transplanting them into the same mix. I didn,t have a problem last year using the compost.

12/07/2013 at 10:18

I am still waiting for my chilli seeds to sprout!

Have just started a new batch in two different spots, I know its late in the season, but am determined to grow my own chillies

12/07/2013 at 10:43

Morning Tina

You are rather late to grow chillies outside this year mind are already growing nice green buds.  That said, I usually bring mind in late summer and stand them on the landing infront of a patio door (onto a balcony), its south facing and the chillies love it.  this way I am picking fresh chillies into the new year.  Do you have a heating tray you can give them a good start with,

Katie

12/07/2013 at 11:21

Does seem very late to me, i have full grown chillies on most of my plants waiting for them to ripen.

To give them any chance of being ready i would suggest keeping them inside the house or in the greenhouse.  3-4 months time when they should be ready will be October/November and it may be too cold then.

12/07/2013 at 15:57

I know it is too late, but am hoping if I keep them indoors I can help trhough a gentlehibernation till next marchish?

13/07/2013 at 07:28

Tina, chillies don't overwinter well. They're very like tomatoes, perennials grown as annuals. They will struggle for the necessary sunlight and warmth to survive till next season.

Anyway, back to the original question, chillies can be grown in any good quality potting mix. I'd avoid peat-free mix. Peat is a necessary contributor to the pH levels of the mix.

email image
7 messages