London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
19 messages
05/02/2014 at 19:37

Hello everyone, been looking at some cheap aldi veg seeds, are they worth buying? I've got a decent size veg plot this year for the first time, grew a little last year, but don't want to waste my time with a cheap seed for not much return.

I was pleased with my wilko courgettes but I grew them in pots and they did seem to run out of stem

I'm looking to grow runner beans, mange tou, courgettes and maybe things like leeks, brussels sprouts, beetroot?

Thanks

05/02/2014 at 19:45

If you only have a small plot, they are OK. Just not many seeds in a packet. Once they've germinated, anything after that is down to you. The most expensive seed will not do well in poor soil and no light.

05/02/2014 at 19:57

Thanks fidget, I think it's a fairly big plot, maybe 100ft by 50ft wide. It's an oblong shape and it's on a hill. Looking to get a veg plot established but think it will be a bit at a time.

There's some other veg plots next to it,at the moment it's all covered over but it's been used for veg before

05/02/2014 at 20:09

I bought most of this years veg seeds last year , when the garden centre reduced all packets to 50p. The only ones I insist on buying new and hence top price are onions and parsnips. The gardening mags give away a lot, and some of the offers in the papers are good, even if you do get inundated with catalogues afterwards.

05/02/2014 at 20:20

Great,thanks again.The catalogues can go in the compost bin

06/02/2014 at 14:17

A couple of good value online companies I can recommend are Moreveg and Simplyseed. Check the quantities in the packs - sometimes they're quite scant, but then you don't always want loads of one variety. They both have a huge choice of interesting varieties, better than you'd get at most Garden Centres. You don't get a picture on the packet, though.

I've bought seeds from Lidl that were fine. I'm sure Aldi would be comparable.

06/02/2014 at 15:18

Lidl's great for old faithfuls ie kelvedon Wonder peas. But I agree about the amount you get. But there again how many sprouts/lettuce/toms do you actually need? Some of the varieties are totally different as they come from germany so an adventure can be had at little cost, and I can recommend the Cucumber Seeds from Lidl especially.

With only two of us I find myself with many packets of seed left over even with 2-3yr life! Still, I do have to admit to preferring to pay out for new F1 varieties as feel I need that guarantee of success. I find for a many items it is better to buy young plants/seedlings, although I have unwittingly bought in disease problems from unknown growers ie. Nurseries trading at Markets as opposed to Flower Shows.

06/02/2014 at 16:36

Try Park Promotions, they do seed promotions for papers and websites but you can buy from their site quite cheap. They do quite a big range for 99p a pack and sometimes have special promos. Also Kings Seeds are goods, they have two sites, you can buy larger amounts of seeds for a discount on their commercial site or smaller amounts on the gardeners site. They have a wide range and very good quality.

06/02/2014 at 17:51

Try googling free seeds

06/02/2014 at 19:46

Thanks for the info, will do some research

06/02/2014 at 22:24

aldi seeds are ok,but i get most of mine from ebay sellers and have had no problems with quality or quantity,look for the ones with good feedback i use four sellers,premier seeds direct is the one i use most.

08/02/2014 at 14:47

Never thought of this. Glad I looked at this thread!

08/02/2014 at 19:01

Tom, Premier look to have a great range, might buy from them next winter. Have about all i need for now except Kelvedon Wonder pea which I usually buy in the 2 Euro shop in town. that's pound shop to the rest of you. Bought Helenor swedes today in Tesco for 2.80 euro. not cheap but OH says they were the nicest we have grown. They are fron Johnson seeds.

08/02/2014 at 21:16

Aldi do seed for 40 p I got loads of seed from there're 

08/02/2014 at 21:24

i/ve used aldi . no problem at all. i now use premier seeds off e-bay. dead cheap and good service. 

14/02/2014 at 15:11

Lidl and Aldi Seed has just come into shops this week here. Am I imagining it or have the contents got even less? Checked a couple of packets from last year and the contents seem heavier even though I had used some - In particular radishes/turnips and tomatoes. Are we being short changed?

15/02/2014 at 20:40

Premier seeds on Ebay are great - some amazing varieties and good quantities of seed.  Just come in a plain tiny ziplock most are 99p each; not as cheap as Lidl/Aldi but good quality.  Purple mange tout and asparagus!

15/02/2014 at 21:28

Don't forget Wilkinsons (online as Wilco), some great seed bargains.

15/02/2014 at 22:34

Hi Althaea.  Holly hoc.

What do you call, 'Cheap' Seeds.  Just a tip.  Under British rules and regs.  Seeds must be tested and reach certain standards before they can be marketed.

As some members have posted.  Usually the lower priced packets, contain less seed.  Might I suggest.  Take a llok at the various catalogues and lists.  Most, especially in the case of veg seed, will give a content number.  As you get the hang of it, you will find it good to let some plants go to seed, and save.

I no longer grow my own veg.  However I have this year purched plenty of flower seeds.  All at .99p per packet.  No fancy packets, just seed.  Most I got from Premier Seeds Direct.  A small point of interest.  Veg seed compared to flower seed.  The germination rate is...veg is best.

Enjoy your growing.

email image
19 messages