London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
5 messages
05/08/2013 at 13:30
HI all i tried to post a question last week but the site was,nt working right so here we go again ,if it did come through i apolagisz as i cant find it,So i have room for a fan trained cherry or the one that goes horizontal along the wall ?? Now i have a south facing or east wall to use and all will have new soil and manure for starters and whatever they need,Now has anyone got any advise on a nice big black sweet cherry to buy and do i need two or will one be ok by itself,youv guessed iv never had a cherry tree before ,wear moving to a house on the Norfolk coast where a new veg allotment is waiting and a big garden for flowers and fruit is the plan of action ,iv already got loads of advise for blackberries and figs and lots more, so a nice cherry would be great and here this weekend cherries were ??1:40 for 4 ounces no way hosay, big black and sweet please if you can Avaguden Alan4711
05/08/2013 at 14:11

'Cherokee' has been recommended before, sweet,dark and self-fertile.

Have a Google search for 'sweet dark self fertile cherry'

05/08/2013 at 16:35

This could help Alan:

http://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/category/cherries/?filter_94=Black+fruited

They seem to have a huge range of cherries.

05/08/2013 at 17:05

Hi Alan4711, I didn't reply to your earlier post because I thought someone else would!

Growing cherries is the absolute last word in optimism in the face of common sense. We have all thought how beautiful it would be to pick our own sweet cherries from the tree. Ah! I am about to rain on your parade. Or I shall tell you the reality. You buy a tree and it flowers but you get no fruit.  (Some trees are not self compatible and you need two different ones.) Or, it flowers and fruit appears and then one day you go along bowl in hand and they have all disappeared. Birds. 

The first problem is easy to solve if you have the space. The second will involve netting the tree and living with a very unattractive hairnet arrangement that has to be negotiated and put on and taken off. And still the birds will find a way under it or round it, And,having got in there they can't get out again and then they strangle themselves.

I have done all this and I now go down to the shops and am happy to let someone else do all the faff.

However,if you are determined to do it yourself, you could try Celeste or Merton Favourite, both of which are self fertile and relatively small (so only a small net to muck around with).

06/08/2013 at 13:26

Even if your cherry tree flowers and bears fruit you could still lose the lot before the birds are even interested. Cherry run-off (fruit sets but drops off) has robbed me of virtually all of my cherries over the last decade and there doesn't seem to be any single cause or cure. Oddly enough it doesn't affect the wild cherry where all the fruit are too high too reach except for the birds which rain down pips on us, only the small Stella. This was meant to be a "minarette" type tree but I can't recommend trying any of those.

I did see a wonderful example of cherry protection at RHS Wisley, a very large fan trained tree in its own fruit cage. It was about 15 feet wide and high but only about 5 feet deep. Probably be cheaper to buy your own cherry farm!

email image
5 messages