5 messages
01/06/2013 at 18:13

I recently picked up a complementary pack of chillie seeds from a Mexican Restaurant. Is it still possible to sow them or have I missed the boat ? I have a small propagator but it isnt heated. Obviously I am new to this ....

01/06/2013 at 18:55

Ideally it's really too late. 

I'm in the south & usually start toms & chillis mid March. They go in the greenhouse as soon as the temps are up a bit (with night time heat if necessary).  My greenhouse only gets sun after lunch & in the evening, so I'm lucky if they're fruiting & ripening much before the first frosts!

So I vowed to sow them in January this year, but didn't. So mine are playing catch up.

To a certain extent things do catch up, but I think you might be really pushing your luck. It's not even as if they are that quick to germinate. If you have a really sunny greenhouse & time, pots & compost to spare, so you won't be too cross if they come to nothing, then as the seeds were free maybe you have nothing to lose. Perhaps we will have a very late hot summer, who knows.

I'd probably save them for next year though...

01/06/2013 at 19:02

Thanks for the advice,think I will hold on to them.. Do you have any advice as to what else I could sow now or is it a lost cause this year ? Perhaps I will buy some plants ...

03/06/2013 at 12:05

Sow them now, just be sure to bring the plant into a conservatory / heated greenhouse before first frosts. Unlike tomatoes, chillis get better with age. It's only after the 4th season should they be discarded. The most productive bushes are 2nd and third year plants. Loads of advice on the net about it. Good luck.

04/06/2013 at 07:29

Thanks for that. I will def. give it a go then. I didn't realise you didn't throw them out after they had produced their fruit !!! ????

email image
5 messages