Start a new thread

1 to 10 of 10 replies

My husband bought a chilli plant last year and all was well until this summer when the fruit started turning black, they have not gone mushy and other wise seem quite alright . I do not know the variety of the chilli the are a bit like the size of bird's eye chillies.Has anyone any ideas please.

Italophile

Some chilli varieties ripen to what looks like black, finty. Try one and see what it's like. The plant is from last season? Was it overwintered?

Stacey Docherty

Pic?? I have several black varieties... Black pearl, purple riot, black habenero and black cobra..... Could just be a black variety leave it it may turn red or stay black!!

MrsGarden

Mine are the same, I just thoiught they were neglected

The chilli was bought last year and was in the kitchen nearly all winter but may have been put out in the spring but as I said it has been healthy enough in the summer. some of the fruit has gone from green to red but a lot of the others are turning black.My husband thought they had got some disease/virus and started taking them off and getting rid but then I read that they can grow black first but I don't know if it is certain varieties or all of them.

Advertisement

Italophile

finty, the only way to know is to try one. They're either a black variety or passing their use-by date. If the latter, they will be getting soft.

Stacey Docherty

Tim nice choice long growing period ......

an example of black chillies.... These are purple riot...

Stacey Docherty

I have found that if the flowers have purple in them then you will have black chillis that will turn reds. White flowers usually go green first....

I think he will leave well alone for now and see what happens , luckily nice chillies