London (change)
Today 14°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
14 messages
24/10/2013 at 19:32

Hi

At the start of the year I planted some chilli seeds and they have grown well. I put them outside during the hottest months of summer and they did great.

I have brought them inside now as it's starting to get cold and wet outside. There are lots of small Chilli's that have just started growing and some large green ones that havent turned red yet.

Problem is- there is very little sunshine now up here in Newcastle and it's cool even inside. What will happen to the plant without the summer sun? shall I cut off all chilli's and eat them green or will they still turn red? Shall I prune now in hope of better growth next yr?

young gardener! not sure what to do?

24/10/2013 at 19:42

James, when that happens to me I leave them on the plant and put them on the brightest indoor windowsill I can find.  I've had chillies turning ripe at Christmas - I put a bit of tinsel on the plants and they looked really festive!  Chillies are perennial and as long as the temperature doesn't fall below about 6-8C and they don't get too much water (causes fungal problems) they can keep going indoors almost indefinitely. 

24/10/2013 at 19:57

Thanks no need to panic then. 

24/10/2013 at 20:40

That as also helped me.

24/10/2013 at 20:41

How do i collect and store quinola seeds.

25/10/2013 at 16:48

When they get leggy and stop producing chillies cut them down and store the plants in pots, like over wintering fushias in frostfree area (dry) till March and they will shoot up again with gentle watering.

13/11/2013 at 15:29

I have an abundance of lovely red chillies,but whats the best way to store them? Dried or Frozen

13/11/2013 at 15:33

I'm drying mine on the windowsill.  I know other people who string them up like this 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33963.jpg?width=283&height=350&mode=max

and others who chop and freeze them.  I think all methods work equally well 

13/11/2013 at 23:06

I freeze some for adding to soups as they get blitzed so it doesn't matter that they go a bit mushy when thawed.  I use some frozen ones in curries.  I make chilli jam with fresh chillies and which makes an excellent seasoning for soups and sauces but also a good spread for a ham sandwich or goats cheese.  

This year I've also strung them up on vertical strings of sewing thread which I've hung in the kitchen window facing south and above a radiator so they'll dry.  It looks very festive as there are green, yellow, red, purple and black ones.

17/11/2013 at 17:52
Frank Crocker wrote (see)

I have an abundance of lovely red chillies,but whats the best way to store them? Dried or Frozen

I think freezing is the easiest. Chop them up and spread them out in a big while they freeze. After they're done you can jiggle them to the bottom and tie up the bag. Failing that drying is good but I use a dehydrator. Theyd have just rotted in my house otherwise. 

19/11/2013 at 19:42
Dovefromabove wrote (see)

I'm drying mine on the windowsill.  I know other people who string them up like this 

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33963.jpg?width=350

and others who chop and freeze them.  I think all methods work equally well 

Oh, I think that's the best way Dove, worth growing them just for that I think. What variety are they?

19/11/2013 at 19:45

It's definitely the best way, but sadly they're not mine.  A friend dries hers like this, but sadly this is a photo from t'internet 

I grew Apache this year which wouldn't look as impressive - maybe next year .... but I'm going to be away in May .... dare I leave OH in charge?

20/11/2013 at 09:05

No worries, I grew Apache last year, just one plant of it and I still have a bag full of them, , they are a good chilli, a tad too hot to put one on my pizza so I got something that was less hot. I looked up the Schoville rating for Apache and went for the next one or two down. The one I found was Fresno, it's a bigger chilli and one is perfect for my pizza. I got about 10 chillies per plant so not quite the same cropping ability as an Apache.

20/11/2013 at 09:09

That's interesting to know Jim - many thanks 

email image
14 messages