Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Christmas has come early

Hi all,

Just had a really nice surprise with the delivery of 3 'duo' bare-root fruit trees that I had completely forgotten I'd ordered! image All look in excellent condition and are 5ft tall, so well done VM!

I'm also off work today and it's perfect planting weather, so the only issue I have now is where to plant them (but that's always the case here, no matter what the plant is!) image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

That's nice Bob. I always tell myself I won't buy anything else unless I know where it's going to be planted..

But I always doimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Thanks all - they're now in (with a bit of rootgrow.)  Good job I was careful when I first put the fork in at each position as all three spots had a whole lot of bulbs which I managed to lift without too much damage.  Then I had to find spots for those without disturbing any more, of course - it could have gone on forever!  image

Now to force myself not to let them fruit for a year or two.  They were:

Pear duo: Conference and Bonne Louise.

Apple duo: Elstar & Golden del.

Plum duo: Victoria & Reine-Claude.

Together with my other fruit trees, I'll either have the fattest squirrels in the country or there'll be too many fruit for them and they'll have to leave some for me!

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Nice work Bob! 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

Sounds like a tactic BobTheGardener, get them squirrels fat enough and they won't be able to climb up to the fruit. image I figured after planting my first six cordons this year, that I could fit in 6 more in the spaces in between. image 

My veg plot will shrink a bit for next year too, but I've more planned to go in it than I had this year and it was full all summer - it must just be garden magic image

• Amazing how we always manage to fit more stuff in, isn't it Gemma! image  Now all of need is a 'Tardis' greenhouse! image

PS, also mulched the raspberries with well rotted FYM and planted a Tayberry and a Loganberry;  Can't waste good weather like this at this time of the year!

• Well done Verdun, your tactic of mentioning that plants are "on their last legs" always seems to pay off! image