London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
7 messages
25/08/2013 at 23:05

I have been reading of the practice of using a solution of bleach before storage of butternut squash and wonder whether anybody has experience of this, please?

I read that in a paper produced for commercial growers in America, they use a solution of 9 parts water to 1 part bleach.  Other UK kitchen gardeners talk of a couple of tablespoons bleach to a gallon of water.  Apparently, the solution should be used to wipe the butternut squash over, thus aiding in killing off mould spores and hence aiding in the storage.  The butternuts should be left to dry naturally.

I have yet to try the method.  I generally do garden organically.  Many thanks.

Apologies if a version of this post has been posted previously, am not sure whether it got away.

26/08/2013 at 06:00

The most important thing is to make sure that they are completely ripe, when they will have a dull beige/greyish colour and the vine is going yellow and dry. Do not let them get catch any frost, cover them with newspaper or similar if frosts are due and they are not quite ripe. Leave about an inch of stem when cutting off the vine.

I have never done anything apart from wiping any soil off with a damp cloth and then letting them dry completely. I still have one from last year that is still fine, will have to use it soon though!

26/08/2013 at 08:38

I've only ever done like you, SwissSue, although I don't think I even wiped them.  I am just curious, though.  They are looking good and beginning to turn colour and I'm thinking they've still got a while to go...

I've been trying to take your good advice about following the stem back to avoid cutting off a squash when pruning long runners not bearing fruits.  However, I have still managed to break off two accidently when thinking I would gently try and rescue them from their precarious position hanging on the edge of the raised bed.  I thought the sleeper might be digging into the skin!  Don't do it!!!  I broke off one yesterday, didn't learn from my mistake, and I've just done another whilst walking my collie. Thanks for your kind reply, SwissSue.  

26/08/2013 at 10:42

And if you are worried about storing them why not do as we do? Slice, roast, cool and freeze!

26/08/2013 at 12:09

I have frozen in uncooked chunks, Berghill, and used for soups.  I've tried to count and there may be as many as 120, I do share around but likely to not have enough freezer space.  

Many thanks.

26/08/2013 at 12:23

Hwlps if you have three freezers like us!

26/08/2013 at 20:56

Wow! That's some freezer space.  You need to get into the rental market! x

email image
7 messages