London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 16°C
61 to 65 of 65 messages
13/08/2014 at 09:45
Learning is the fun bit! , and we are all still learning

Kailaan is a mixture between tenderstem broccoli and kale, not as strong tasting as kale, but yoy can eat the stem, leaves and flower heads, just make sure its well watered and not left too long or they can be a bit woody

You can grow melons in a cold frame, just do some research into one thats a bit better for the uk. Another option is to make a hot bed
12/02/2015 at 09:03

Bumping for Bekkie

16/02/2015 at 19:17
Well based on the advice and comments herein I have planted a tray load of marigold seeds on my window sill. I also have some mint which I'll plant in the window sill or maybe in my plastic free house in march. That should hopefully give a good start protecting carrots and tomatoes when it all gets going. I'm going to plant them both in pots so I can move them and control the spread of the mint. I'll probably also get some nasturtium seeds as a colleague kindly gave me some broccoli seeds (ordinary and purple sprouting) so I think I will give them a try too.

Oh, and I have some sunflowers which I think will help with black fly.

Fingers crossed.
16/02/2015 at 19:21
Sounds good Jason, please dont forget to let us know if it worked for you later in the year
21/02/2015 at 14:45

Hi Bekkie,

I plant my sweetcorn plants in a circular shape and because they don't use much soil (they grow upwards), I plant courgettes/ squash/ pumpkins on the soil underneath them. This works really well and protects the plants which favour the soil. This method is known as the 'Three Sisters' Bed', however the third plant is beans (runner/ French) and I grow them separately as I don't think it would work with the beans growing up the sweetcorn plants.

Thanks,

Lalat 

email image
61 to 65 of 65 messages