London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 61 messages
30/06/2014 at 17:05
Id love to know what everyone else uses for companion plants, what do you find works best?
30/06/2014 at 17:19
Hi Bekkie
I plant allysum all around the edges of my vegetable borders to attract hoverfly
30/06/2014 at 17:21
Not one ive come across before, i use poached egg plant, but might give this a try
30/06/2014 at 17:45

Summer Savoury with Broad Beans....Tagetes with Toms.

BBoy........I like Alyssum and always grow it but never thought to put round the veg plot.....well, the allotment anyway........thanks for that

30/06/2014 at 17:49
Whats the summer savory for- blackfly?
30/06/2014 at 18:03

Yes..........it's also quite nice to use when you steam your Beans ( tho I admit I scoff most of mine raw from the pod so they rarely see the kitchen)

30/06/2014 at 18:08
Believe it or not, i always used broad beans as compainon plants around the edge of the veg bed, i never tried the beans because id heard others say they wernt nice! Ive now had broad beans (frozen!) Of course as i wanted to grow them as a crop this year, the entire lot were munched by bean and pea maggot! Will try again next year, will also try summer savory
30/06/2014 at 18:09
Hi Phillipa if you let the allysum seed itself you will have plenty new plants for nothing the following year, they are easily transplanted, I havent bought any allysum for years
30/06/2014 at 18:42

BBoy........unfortunately the alyssum I have growing now are not in a position to self seed and grow on......but I will save the seed from the plants I have to get them round my new allotment.

To be honest, I let most of my stuff self seed but only in this garden for 2 years so still a bit of a way to go  However, my wildflowers are doing really well (2nd season) and all from bought seed last Spring.

The allotment (half an allotment actually ) is a different matter.......only taken over in april (when the weather here was still awful) and covered in grass/weeds.  Hand dug and have cleared half of it and already have Potatoes, Broad Beans, Kale, Spinach, Mange Tout, Dwarf Beans, Parcel, Chillies, Spring Onions, Leeks and Lab Lab beans as well as Rhubarb, Red and Black Currant (only last year's cuttings from garden but ok ), Physalis (Golden Berry) , Butternut Squash and Comfrey.  Also some clover and Cerinthe.....both of which the bees love. More flowers to go in soon. 

Sorry.....got carried away.....we were only talking about alyssum weren't we ?   

30/06/2014 at 20:03

I use tagetes and basil in the greenhouse along side the toms.

onions and garlic along side each other.

30/06/2014 at 20:11

Someone previously mentioned branches of the Curry Plant in their G/H as an antidote to pests.

30/06/2014 at 20:13
I swear by nasturtiums with cabbages, or any brassicas, and callendula
30/06/2014 at 21:43
Hi Bekkie - Great thread with some very interesting answers, so thanks all. I grow marigolds and basil round my toms. I read somewhere that it is scientifically proven that growing basil close to tons increases yields. Watch this space as its my first good go at it. I grow nasturtiums near my broad beans as black fly are supposed to prefer nasturtiums. So protecting the broad beans, which are yummy to eat ! I'm also trying onions with my carrots this year to confuse the carrot root fly. Alternate rows of each. Which so far seems to be working. That and minimal thinning and careful weeding. I'm also growing sweet peas and sunflowers with my runner beans to attract pollenators. I have 3 rows of 2 metre wigwams, with alternate beans and sweet peas. Hopefully help, but certainly look nice !
30/06/2014 at 21:48
Wow lily, you are really going for it! Sounds fab, i hope it goes well
30/06/2014 at 21:50

I've got 4 pots of Marigolds in the greenhouse and 2 pots of basil to protect my tomatoes, cucumbers and aubergines.

I've also planted marigolds in with the outdoor toms in the pots/hanging baskets.

30/06/2014 at 22:46
Thanks Bekkie ! I hope do too ! It's all trial and error
01/07/2014 at 07:57
I wonder if all the herbs can be used as companion plants?
KEF
01/07/2014 at 08:06

I'm the one who sticks sprigs of curry plant in the GH.  I also plant a few garlic chives in with my carrots.

Don't grow broad beans due to space and OH not over keen on them. I was told that if you cook the tops that you pinch out they are very tasty. Elderly chap who worked at a large house as gardener used to take them home and preferred the tops to the beans.

01/07/2014 at 08:08
Cheers KEF, not come across that one before
01/07/2014 at 09:06

Oh, my element!

Yellow osreospermum  and blue linum, blue frikartii Momch and red dahlias, blue agastache and yellow coreopsis, Taxus Coppershine and berberis helmond pillar, silver plants and purple, yellow agastaches amd blue Veronicas, hackonechloa and Imperata, elymus magellanic and purple Heucheras, white anemone  wild swan and euphorbia rubra, carex buchanii and hosta patriot, pittosporumTom thumb and caryopteris, miscanthus variegatus and purple black acteas, eucalyptus and yellow leaved dogwood, Acer flamingo and red cannas, verbena bonariensis and Taxus Stamdishii, stipa gigantea and bishop of Llandaff dahlia, helenium Moreheim beauty and salvia guaranitica, agastache blue boa and artemisia Powys castle, euonymous emerald n gold and berberis atro nana, dierama Guinevere and cotinus royal purple, euphorbia Polychroma and red grasses or amchusa London Royalist, cream primroses and purple hellebores, white guaras overlooking purple Heucheras, pittosporum Irene Patterson and purple buddleias ........ooooo, I had better stop before I get carried away 

1 to 20 of 61 messages