London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
4 messages
03/05/2012 at 16:40

Hi - I have a city courtyard garden (no beds all containers) and three little children who are keen to have a go at planting something that they can eat. I have seen "home allotment planters" and I can fit one that is 1m X 40cm X 40cm. I was wondering what I could fit in there? I wonder if I can fit in cherry tomatoes (any variety???)  some green beans (again any variety?)  and then anything else that would fit in or would that be it?

Any recommendations or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Robyn

03/05/2012 at 17:22

If the childen are young they will have no patience in my experience and will want things that grow quickly -tomatoes outside are going to be long time growing before ripening-could be as late as the end of August,beans might be fine but again you have to wait.

Personally -I would for for salad crops,lettuce radish etc at this time of year-quite easy and relatively trouble free-it depends on who is going to be doing the work

03/05/2012 at 17:44

Sugar snap peas are great for kids - don't take long to grow and you can harvest them when they're the size of garden peas - very sweet at that size.

03/05/2012 at 18:58

You could put a Cherry  Tomato - Sungold is a good one- in one corner and 3 canes tied like a wigwam with  dwarf mangetout peas at the other end - Mr Fothergills sells seeds- and there will still be room for some lettuce leaves and radishes in front .You can buy mixed pkts of Lettuce leaves that grow in a few weeks !

Pam x

email image
4 messages