London (change)
Today 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 7°C
6 messages
22/08/2013 at 09:13

Hello!

we've just moved into a new house and are the lucky owners of a very tall cooking apple tree... I'm assuming its a bramley apple tree but I'm no expert! Others have confirmed this (asking everyone that comes over to visit!)

Given that I'm use to buying shop bought cooking apples which are large and "perfect"... I'm wondering if the smaller cooking apples are okay to eat? I.e are they just as ready as they large ones that fall or have they prematurely fallen ( ive also observing that magpies like to knock a few small ones down! Never realised how mischievous magpies were!)

the tree is very tall and I can't reach any branches to pick any apples so I have to wait until they have fell. The tree is about 12ft tall. It's been produces large and smaller apples.

hope you can help  I've a large stock of sizes waiting to be made into a pie!

French x

22/08/2013 at 10:23

Hello, French, 

Yes, you can eat any apple that you can get your hands on. Even ones that have spots, cuts, peck marks or worse. The small ones might need more sugar when you cook them.

22/08/2013 at 13:05

I use all apples, windfalls or not. Just cut out any bruised bits or worm holes etc. I cook them and then freeze for use in winter to make crumbles or pies.

A lot of people are too used to perfect supermarket produce. It causes a tremendous amount of waste, just because it is not cosmetically perfect.

23/08/2013 at 14:57

Well from your advice I made an apple crumble for me and three friends and it was loVely! It felt a bit weird cutting out worm holes and even finding small worms in the apples but I'm guessing as long as these bits were cut out and I washed them well it was okay. It's roughly 24 hours post crumble and I'm still alive!!!

thanks! xx

23/08/2013 at 18:56

If it didn't kill the worm it's unlikely to hurt you.  Me being me, I would omit the washing bit.  Washing only washes away flavour; you are going to cook the fruit after all.

23/08/2013 at 20:24

Frenchi;

Firstly small apples falling all over the place is a sure sign your tree has to much fruit on it and the falling cooking apples are a sign of the tree's fruit not being thined out.

you'll soon see what im talking about when high winds appear and you've a grass area full of apples,

Also the branch will snap because of the weight of the fruit,

thin out the fruit when its young and the remaining fruit will be of a good cooking size with its full body firm.

You can buy an extending apple picker to help you thin the apples out from the ground,

But as you'll need ladders to prune and remove crossing branch's you can thin out via the use of a ladder.

I have two cooking apple tree's that really are old ones and i find even with good size apples ive far to much for my own needs so do as i do and thin out your fruit

And have only the best fruit the tree can supply.

email image
6 messages