London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
13 messages
H7
24/05/2012 at 12:38

i am new to growing veg ,my courgette seedlings are all in individual pots but after being in sun some leaves are drying out ,how do i restore them

24/05/2012 at 12:44

Drying out how? Changing colour? Crisping up? In the meantime, the most common problem with seedlings is overwatering, causing leaves to turn pale. Awaiting further into.

24/05/2012 at 16:10

Taking them out of the sun and into shade would have been a good idea. Also, if the compost was dry, a good drink would have perked them up a bit.

24/05/2012 at 18:52

i have been moving them in and out of sun but compost is moist .some off leaves had crispened

24/05/2012 at 20:00

Are they true leaves or the very first leaves that appeared when the seed germinated, the cotyledons? If they're the very first leaves, they will usually die off as the plant grows.

25/05/2012 at 17:47

yeh they are the first leaves i have repotted in compost that wasnt as wet as other ones

26/05/2012 at 06:34

Okay, the very first leaves - cotyledons - that appear after germination are what nourish the baby plant. As true leaves form and nourish the plant, the cotyledons' use is over and they usually change colour to yellow or almost white and usually fall off. Or you can take them off once they've faded.

Good idea not to have the mix too wet, too.

H7
27/05/2012 at 10:25

thanx i trimmed off the driest part of leaves on 3 plants and seems to have worked i have also put the coolglass shading on my plastic greenhouse which has helped too especially with this hot sun this week

27/05/2012 at 11:51

I agree with the advice given. Once your plants are a little larger with a few more leaves, start putting them outside during the day, in a cool spot at first, then putting them back in the greenhouse at night. Do this for about a week to acclimatise the plant to growing conditions outside, before planting it in its final spot.

H7
31/05/2012 at 18:04

2 of my courgette seedlings have taken off now, since i repotted and cut off the dry part of first leaves off,i also bought a courgette plant for £1 just in case mine dont turn out ssshhhh our secret ha ha ha

31/05/2012 at 19:03

I grow 'Parthenon' self pollinating courgettes from seed in a Polytunnel which does get quite hot, but as long as they are kept watered they produce well.  I have two fruit on each of my two plants that are 3" long, with many more showing.  Once they get going I seldom pick less than four to five fruit per week, at 6 to 8 inches long.

02/06/2012 at 08:51

My courgette plants (grown from seed) growing extremelywell in well rotted garden compost - around 8" deep, along with squash and pumkin plants grown from seed.

The peas and beans are wonderful - pods on peas and flowers on beans - runner and French. Growing outdoor cucumbers and hot chilli peppers ( in pots). I grow beetroot, spring onions, radishes, and Chantanay carrots  (in troughs). Worked last year so doing again this year.  Really its a flower garden  My veg plot is one metre square, but my pot plot is around 2 metres by 1 metre (slate covered), and the troughs put anywhere where there is room.

02/06/2012 at 08:58

Its a wonderful year for climbing roses and passion flowers. Our dahlias aren't doing too badly either.   Its the weeds that get me everytime.  They're very prolific this year -

Our pond (with fish) has plastic rings around the edge to keep away the family of herons that frequent our area. But the birds (many varieties), love  bathing and splashing and returning to the many nests (provided by my hubby) in the greenery sited around the garden.  The problem is the greenery accumulating on the surface, the fish, newts and frogs seem to love it - its unsightly - but with treatment - not insurmountable.

email image
13 messages