London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
12 messages
12/04/2014 at 17:44

I sowed a F1 Defender courgette seed 4 days ago into a 9cm pot. I can't believe how big it's grown already! It seems to be visibly growing as I look at it. I go into my conservatory every morning with some trepidation, thinking it may have taken over my 5ft yukka plant, or maybe got tangled up in the ceiling fan!

When should I pot it on (there are already signs of thin roots at the bottom of the pot), and what size of pot?

It's destined for a very large patio container in the hope that i can tease some courgettes out of it this Summer.

12/04/2014 at 19:27

Have you started hardening it off yet? I've just started with mine, but I too, was amazed at how fast they have popped up this year; will probably pot mine on v. soon

KEF
12/04/2014 at 19:44

I'm not sowing mine until the end of April, because when the weather warms they grow so rapidly.

12/04/2014 at 19:59

I grew some last year for the first time, yes they are big seedlings! Did you sow them in a greenhouse or inside? I've got a few sown in a cold frame, but no show yet.

13/04/2014 at 12:42

I sowed it (one only) in my house on a south facing windowledge. It actually took a week or so to appear but there has been no stopping it since.

I now have it in my conservatory, again south facing. It is good for growing on pricked out seeds because it is only heated when we need it in Spring and usually runs at a daytime temperature of about 20C (nightime maybe down to 15C) at this time of year.

I will move it to my unheated greenhouse probably in 3 weeks time, along with my bush tomatoes, then will gradually harden off by leaving the door open during the day.

My chillies are staying in the conservatory all Summer.

What size pot are you guys moving it onto? I was thinking maybe straight into a 15cm pot.

13/04/2014 at 14:21

Hi LL, I start mine off in 7cm pots and transfer to 15cm which is big enough to keep them in until you plant out.  When there is a lot of leaf area, you do need to keep up with the watering as they dry out fast!

13/04/2014 at 15:39

I've sown mine I the GH but no sign yet after a week, I'm wondering whether I should have done them inside but I thought they were ok in the GH  Never grown courgettes before.

13/04/2014 at 16:10

Better to start them inside, OL.  They don't like the low temperatures at night in a cold GH.  A sunny windowsill indoors is perfect.

13/04/2014 at 16:16

I'll go and get them then and bring them into the warm  Thanks Bob.

13/04/2014 at 18:01

Cuddle them and sing them a lullaby OL, they'll be OK then.

BobTheGardener wrote (see)

Hi LL, I start mine off in 7cm pots and transfer to 15cm which is big enough to keep them in until you plant out.  When there is a lot of leaf area, you do need to keep up with the watering as they dry out fast!

Thanks Bob, I'll do that.

13/04/2014 at 19:51

They've had a cuddle LL and now on the windowsill and I'll wait and see what happens, I'm sure they'll be fine as my Morning Glory was in the GH and germinated the day after I brought it and and have grown loads in 3 days 

14/04/2014 at 18:43
I have grown mine from seed on a sunny bedroom windowsill they came on really quickly last week I potted them into 10cm pots & they are now in my utility room where I grow my toms it gets lots of sun & has a large window today is was so nice I put them outside but they are back inside when the sun went in. I dont have a gh so they will go out in big pots which I have got ready for them im just not sure when they should be planted outside as its my first time any advice on this pls.
email image
12 messages