London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
5 messages
15/03/2014 at 14:09

I usually sow my courgettes in fibre pots indoors, then grow them on in the mini-greenhouse, eventually planting out into a raised bed in early June.

I have a plastic cover which I could erect over the raised bed, like this one  http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/product.asp?dept_id=200462&pf_id=LS7730D&co=fr&gclid=CIm8la3alL0CFenjwgodnikAeg 

and I'm wondering whether there would be any advantage to fitting the cover, warming the bed up and direct sowing the courgettes into the raised bed, keeping the cover over until all threat of frost and cold weather has passed?

Do you think I would get an earlier crop, and if so, how early would you risk sowing directly into the raised bed?

15/03/2014 at 15:16

I have had some success by direct sowing into the top of a compost bin but I wouldn't honestly say there was any improvement in either earliness or yield.

Sowing the courgette individually indoors/under glass means that you can at least monitor them more easily.

If you have a tried and tested method which is successful, personally I'd stick with it

15/03/2014 at 18:36

The Victorians made "hotbeds" to grow crops earlier in the season. How much earlier a plastic cover would produce crops I'm not sure but worth a try. We end up having so many courgettes each year I'm not sure I would want them earlier!

15/03/2014 at 21:56

Don't know the answer, only started growing veg last year and that was in pots. Did love my courgette harvest though and want more this year

My gut instinct would be yes there would be advantage, just like the flowers I grow, that the soil would be warmer and having more protection but as for a higher yield........no idea

15/03/2014 at 23:19

I start them off in pots in the greenhouse then put them outside and then up to the allotment they are quite tough as long as the is no signs of a hard frost 

email image
5 messages