London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
5 messages
06/12/2013 at 16:19

I have been leafing through the seed catalogues (appropriately!) and after a bit of research, decided to try Defender F1 courgette in a large pot next year. I live in the hills north of Bolton, quite high up (750mts), the pot will be on a south facing patio - is that an OK location to expect courgettes to grow successfully? The pot I will be using is a sturdy polyurethine black container about 20" diameter - is that large enough?

Any advice would be appreciated.

06/12/2013 at 16:52

I have grown Defender in pots of about the same size - they took a lot of watering and did get powdery mildew, but I did get quite a few good courgettes.  I had three pots each with one courgette plant in it, grouped together in the centre of a north facing back yard. 

KEF
06/12/2013 at 17:25

They will grow okay in pots, but will do much better in the ground. Out of necessity I grew in pots one year, got a crop but not as good as in the soil.

06/12/2013 at 18:22

I grow courgettes in largeish troughs and a galvanised bucket. I agree, they would probably do better in the soil but they are too large for my little veg plot. Watering them is the issue, and feeding them

07/12/2013 at 12:44

Thank you for your replies all.

I have no choice about the pot growing (well, not in my mind anyway, because I prefer to keep the garden for plants). Also the watering is generally not a problem because: 1) I live in Lancashire which isn't renowned for it's dry Summers and 2) In case of a repeat of last Summer, I am retired and so can devote the days to watering my plants if needed.

It's nice to know that others have grown Defender in pots and I would always expect fewer fruit when grown that way.

email image
5 messages