London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
17 messages
13/08/2013 at 13:56

How have people been getting on with cucamelons this year? I planted one plant in my greenhouse. Took ages to get going but now there are lots of tiny tendrils. Also lots of tiny flowers but no fruit set. Have other people had same problem? Does anyone have any tips? I'm treating the plant in same way as my cucumbers, which are doing well.

Thanks!

Sharon

13/08/2013 at 13:58

Exactly the same. I think these will be going on my don't bother list along with yard long bean metro rouge.

13/08/2013 at 14:21

Couldn't get them to grow beyond seedling stage - not bothering again! 

13/08/2013 at 14:57

I have 2 plants , now approx 5 ' high. In a pot , in the polytunnel. They are fed & watered with toms & cucumbers.

There are hundreds of cucumelons on the plants many grape size or bit bigger. This is the 1st time i have grown then, the only thing I would say is they seem a bit hard when you bit them.

13/08/2013 at 19:40

Mine didn't even germinate 

13/08/2013 at 19:57

I have about 9 plants, loads of flowers and the fruits are just starting to grow.  I have grown them from seed and transplanted to my greenhouse.

I have just been given them some ash left over from my woodburner and they seem to therive on it.

21/08/2013 at 12:17

Thanks all. I now have 2 fruit set! Not exactly a result - but maybe I'll now be innundated!

Sharon

25/08/2013 at 10:00

My cucamelons stayed as tiny plants for months, then took off in the hot weather.  They are now fruiting quite well.  The only problem is I don't really like the taste. The citrus tang in them reminds me of cucumber that's gone over.  Does anyone prefer the taste to good old cucumber? 

26/08/2013 at 11:36

We have them in the greenhouse and in a half barrel outside. Lots of flowers and not much set fruit until we nipped off all the growing shoots and gave them far more water than previously. They did not like the really hot weather , but we are now inundated with tiny melons. Great for slicing in half and putting in Pimms or Gin and tonics, as well as adding to salads .

20/09/2013 at 08:53

I'm still not getting many fruit, but had given a couple of plants to a friend and her greenhouse taken over by them. Fruit on her plant and mine actually pretty bitter  -reminds me more of the bitterness of a female cucumber which has been fertilised than 'a citrus tang'. Has anyone had same problem or is it the way we have grown the plants?

23/01/2014 at 18:27

Do you need a greenhouse for these? I thought I read somewhere you could grow them outdoors.

07/07/2014 at 01:10

My problem is that the fruits develop but don't get any bigger than a sunflower seed and then fall off!

I don't have a greenhouse /conservatory so growing on my kitchen window sill 

Any advice appreciated

L x

07/07/2014 at 06:01

I've not grown them, but from what I've read they'd do better outside now - they need insects to pollinate them.  Find them a sheltered sunny spot and they should be fine. 

10/07/2014 at 16:27

First time I have grown them, and they have nearly taken over my greenhouse.  Loads of fruit now, although they did take a but of time to get going.   However now I have enough to supply the whole village 

06/08/2014 at 17:10

Germinated the seed in a heated propagator , no problems there. Potted into 3'' pots and grew on, then potted into 3L pots, all plants doing well . No large fruit yet but the flowers are there and the little cucumber like fruits are in place, just need them to swell. I have about 6 weeks to the growing season left before I cover them with polythene to see if I can get them through the winter. 

27/08/2014 at 13:27

Mine have taken over the conservatory, even though I have pinched them out a lot, but the leaves are now going yellow and a lot of the fruits seem to have simply stopped growing, while others just start, go black and then fall off.     Do they need more water?    I water them morning and evening.

27/08/2014 at 14:48

Maybe you need to hand pollinate the flowers or leave your greenhouse door open to let the insects do the job for you.

email image
17 messages