Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cucumber Query

Hi, I am growing Telepathy F1 cucumbers in my greenhouse, & I need advice as to what flowers to remove. They are mostly at an early stage at the moment, and I am having difficulty in establishing which have 'swelling' behind them. There are some that have 'cucumber' shapes behind them. I hope the pictures enclosed will help. Thanks

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

The ones with baby cucumbers behind are the females. You need to keep these as they develop into cucumbers. The male ones do not have a cucumber behind, just a small blob. Remove all these , preferably before they open,, because pollinated  greenhouse cucumbers will develop seeds and become bitter.

• Bob177Bob177 Posts: 43

Hi Fidgetbones, sorry for the delay in replying, I will continue to keep an eye on the developement of the buds/flowers that are in clusters, as I cannot tell if there are small blobs, or the start of tiny cucumbers, behind then. I don't think they are ready to open any time soon anyway. I am growing 3 plant's, so I can afford to make the odd mistake. I want to see what growth I get from these clusters first, so I can identify the male from the female, before I start snipping. Thanks