Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Damson Crop for 2012

Hi Has it been a good or bad year for Damsons this year weather-wise etc? I am located in the East Midlands. I was sure they were ready earlier than this last year? When would I be looking to pick them (for my gin making!) Many Thanks in advance

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

When they are ripe.  This year it is pointless going by the calendar.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Would be nice if there were any on the trees this year.

• LinsayLinsay Posts: 3
    There are some on our tree, but doesn't look as many as last year. I heard the windy weather earlier in the year damaged the blossom?
  • We've loads but they are quite sheltered, got my mum to give a couple a squeeze today when she came around for a cuppa and she reckons give ours another week, we're in Mid Lancs

• cowslip2cowslip2 Posts: 137

So very disappointing not to have any damsons this year. They usually grow like wildfire, and fruit with abundance. How I envy those with a crop!

• paull2paull2 Posts: 93

I made 10 gals of damson wine with my crop last year. This year, I will be lucky to find 10 damsons! Lord knows what to expect for 2013.

• We usually get 30lbs of damsons, this year we've had 2lbs from the whole tree
  • I havent found any at all this year, have been checking the tree's since early Aug, tree's are completely bare of fruit!

• Hardly any damsons from our three damson trees. We had lots of damsons last year and I made several jars of chutney and jams in fact we had too many damsons. This year I think we've had 20 useable damsons this year, other damsons which have fallen have been bad, I suspect this is due to the heavy rain and lack of sunshine this year.  Fingers crossed for a good crop next year.

• I have three trees, two had fruit which stayed hard for ages and then some of it just shrivelled up, one tree didn't fruit at all.  Did get enough to make damson gin and a batch of jam, so judging from the comments above, it looks like I had a pretty good crop as far as 2012 goes.  Here's hoping for a bumper harvest in 2013 (and a summer would be nice too while we're at it).