Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Discoloured skin n outdoor grown tomatoes

After weeks waiting for my abundance of tomatoes to ripen, many have dark colouring on the skins - purple, almost bruised looking.  Some are beautifully smooth and shiny, others have pitting on the discloration.

Are they safe to eat and cook with please?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Sounds like blight. Sorry.
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,933

Can you take a photo?

• Wellshonion - if it is blight can the good bits be cooked?

• Also does anyone know if its ok to cook the good bits of ones that have split and healed over again please.  I don't want to throw these away if I can help it.

• Photos of discoloured tomatoes - the leaves of the plants look healthy.  If it is blight what should I do with the higher trusses of green toms please.

• A photo would help with an accurate diagnosis and I wouldn't be keen to eat any part of blighted tomatoes.

Having said that, it will be fine to eat those (un-blighted) ones that have split....this is usually associated with erratic watering.

• HD - Your photo post came through as I was posting my reply. Those in your pic do seem to be affected with blight and I don't think it would be advisable to eat any part of them. 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    I see no reason not to salvage any good bits of the tomatoes. Humans can't catch or be harmed by blight. Trouble is it often destroys the tomatoes before they are ripe, as in the photos.
  • I have cooked and eaten the good bits of a blighted tom(which this looks like) and still live to tell the tale! I would dispose of the rest of the plant thoughimage

• Right I am going to harvest all the tomatoes and put the green ones in a box with a tomato.  Is blight airborne - will the unripe ones be infected, but not showing signs

My Yorkshire "Waste not, want not" upbringing is giving me heartache if I have to jettison the lot.