London (change)
Today 19°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
5 messages
04/06/2012 at 17:37

Just wondering if anyone can help out at all.

I went outside today to discover my cucumber plant looking rather sorry for itself!

The leaves are really drooping/ wilting it looks as if it is in dry soil but the compost is really moist.

I'm growing it in a pot as I only have a yard living in an urban area.

I've read lots of different things online... Is there anything I can do to save it?

Thanks very much

04/06/2012 at 17:44

It's probably not appreciating this cold weather - can you protect it with a cloche?

04/06/2012 at 19:05
A cloche is certainly worth trying, though I wonder if you have vine weevil grubs eating the roots. They're c- shaped White grubs with brown heads. If feasible, it might be worth taking the plant out ( being very careful not to damage the crown) and having a look. If you find them, I fear there's not much you can do, the recommended chemical cure isn't safe for food crops. I always water my cucumbers in pots from underneath, putting them in a saucer and watering into that. If they haven't slurped up the water within half an hour or so, then I empty the saucer. It doesn't sound as though your plant needs any more water at the moment though if the compost is wet.
08/06/2012 at 16:36

Try and give it some heat if you can because it seems that its been too cold for it. If you can its always better to wait until mid June before putting cucumber in the open.

Good luck with them anyway.

Loz
10/06/2012 at 22:21

Oh dear....I may have put mine out a tad early too, they were grown from seed indoors, repotted and put into greenhouse, seemed to be doing fine and were about 3' high with around 4 leaves on so put the best ones...9 into a raised bed about 2 weeks ago. They now seem to have gone backwards and I think they are being nibbled by an intruder.....Help meeeee please!!!

email image
5 messages