London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
5 messages
29/12/2012 at 18:33

when growing during a drought most people store water and water there plants by hand.

so what is you your solution for growing during a year with to much rain to get good results. Since so many claim to much rain was the reason they got poor results I thought those who did well should share there solution with those who had issues.

29/12/2012 at 23:10

I think it was the low temperatures and lack of sunshine that caused poor crops.  It really was a bumper year for apples last year, I don't think you can expect two years like it in a row.

It has been interesting to see how well some crops have done with so much rain.  The Brussels Sprouts growers are well pleased. Maybe we don't make sure our plants have so much water in a 'normal' year.

30/12/2012 at 09:54

I think it was lack  of sunshine and sodden ground rotting some root vegetables,some of my plants did well because this was weather they liked others it was opposite.Now will I plant more drought resistant plants or swamp plants of the amazon.?Who ever is doing the rain dance please stop now.

01/01/2013 at 02:49

the solution is so obvious it does not surprize me that you all could not find answer.

if in drought you add water to plants but in year of excessive rain you cover plants then  store or drain the excess water way. but then again you all missed the obvious solution. 

01/01/2013 at 10:52

Sorry Colin that is so impractical and simplistic I don't think you have really given the problem of low light levels, low temperatures and excess rain much thought.  Unless your question is a riddle of some sort.  Is it?

I wish you a better year this year.

email image
5 messages