Start a new thread

Hi

Ordered a Stella Cherry and Egremont Russet Apple trees. Have no idea what to look for when they arrive. They are 2 year old bare root. They have been in depot from 17th until 22nd of this month(stupid time to send them to me), and I am worried they will be dead as I have never had fruit trees before. Someone on Facebook said his arrived dead because of the same delivery problem and I just want to know what to look for if they are still alive and if they are going to survive without water and light for so long. thanks

BobTheGardener

Hi Sisb, As long as they were dormant (ie only small unopened buds on the stems) when sent, they should be OK although it is a bit late for sending bare-root trees in my opinion.  When they come you should place the roots in a bucket of water for a day before planting them.  If there is no sign of leaves appearing after a month, then use a fingernail to scratch the bark a few inches down from the top of a tall branch.  If it is green underneath, they are still alive and you may need to wait a bit longer.  If brown, that wood is dead so try further down.  If it is brown underneath the bark of all of the branches and trunk, it's dead.

Thanks Bob for that information. I am most grateful as I do not have a clue what to look for. Should have done what I usually do before shopping with a new online company and that is to check and double check. Still with lots of luck they may turn out ok but not holding my breath about them. Have a nice Easter.