London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
10 messages
21/06/2013 at 11:45

My runner beans leaves are starting to go yellow, I was told that you could use Epsom salts to revive them is this true and if so whats the amount I can put on them.

21/06/2013 at 12:34

I'd suggest a plant feed, possibly with iron in it.  Any seaweed based fertiliser will help, these are designed for plants rahter than Epsom salts which are designed for people.  Have the beans had alot of rain?  The nutrients can get washed out of the soil if it has rained alot, and runners are hungry plants anyway.  Feed them up, and the will probably do fine after that. 

21/06/2013 at 13:22

I have a different response......it's probably a magnesium deficiency and Epsom salts,is a perfect, cheap harmless way,to correct it.  I use it on my tomatoes, have used it on lupins ( sometimes in certain parts,of the garden they show a deficiency) and "saved" a neighbour's winter cherry trees  with Epsom salts.

A seaweed spray is an excellent general feed and tonic and I use it regularly.  Try,the Epsom salts Stephen and let us know how you got on.  It will work pretty quickly.  As part of a maintenance system Epsom salts is good practice. 

I use about 2 tablespoons in 10 litre can

21/06/2013 at 14:55

Interesting Verdun, always good to hear other folks ideas and options, - either way, the beans need some help whichever you chose Stephen

21/06/2013 at 17:14

Agreed bookertoo.  I always take on board what others say though.  We are on the same wavelength re the seaweed.  Great stuff

21/06/2013 at 17:26

Verdun, do you gather your own seaweed and make your own spray?

21/06/2013 at 20:58

Evening fidgetbones.

I used to but now buy it but its organic

21/06/2013 at 21:19

You can get large bottles of the organic stuff on line, very concentrated so it lasts for ages - getting it delivered does beat carrying heavy stuff!

21/06/2013 at 21:23

If you watch Beechgrove this week you'll see Epsom salts being used!

22/06/2013 at 09:18

Interesting, I'd bought Epsom salts a year or two ago, forget now what plant I used it on. Thanks for the info Verdu and the dosage.

email image
10 messages