London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
11 messages
20/10/2012 at 16:50

Hello all. I'd like to add another espalier apple to my garden, but would like a cooking apple this time, as I already have several eating varieties. Can anyone recommend some cooking apple varieties that espalier well? Thanks!

20/10/2012 at 17:55

Most apples that are spur-fruiting will espalier well.  Howgate Wonder is a particularly good large dual purpose apple.  http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/Howgate-Wonder-Apple-Trees that cooks well.

I've not grown it as an espalier but I see no reason why it wouldn't be successful.  You will have to consider the pollination group - although it will self-pollinate to an extent, you need a pollinator from the same group (Group D) to be certain of a good crop.  What groups are your other apples?

20/10/2012 at 18:45

Thanks for the info - I have a falstaff and a braeburn and an 'unknown'! Not sure what groups they are in. Can you recommend any good resource on the 'net for finding out polination groups and info such as whether certain varities are spur-fruiting? I'v ejust had a quick look at some online nurseries, but they don't specifiy that info in the descriptions of their trees.

20/10/2012 at 20:03

Braeburn is E and Falstaff is C, so neither will pollinate the Howgate Wonder.  

All three are partially self-fertile.  What sort of crops are you getting from your Braeburn and Falstaff?  

Most apples and pears are spur fruiting. The Ashridge Nursery website will give you pollination groups.

It might be an idea to email Ashridge Nurseries (via link above) and get their advice about what will work best with what you've already got -  they're very helpful.

20/10/2012 at 21:41

Getting good crops - the falstaff especially so. There are a lot of fruit trees in the local area so I may be getting some polination from them. Although partially self-fertile as you mentioned, I know braeburn is supposed to be a weak cropper unless polinated, so I presume it's getting polinated from somewhere.

I'll do as you suggest and get some advice - sounds like Ashridge nursery will be able to steer in the right direction. Thanks for your help!

Still, other suggestions from people who have successfully espaliered a cooking apple greatfully received!

21/10/2012 at 08:34

I've been doing some research over the past year as we're going to espalier a Concorde pear - the Maiden tree is being delivered this Nov/Dec.   I'm getting quite excited 

Good luck with yours.

21/10/2012 at 10:22

http://links.mkt2870.com/servlet/MailView?ms=NDAxOTMyODcS1&r=Mzc3NTAzNzQ1OTkS1&j=MTY0MjE2MDMzS0&mt=1&rt=0

Bramley's Seedlings on special offer here  although not sure whether it's suitable for espalier-training as it might have been grown as a bush - might be worth enquiring tho'.

21/10/2012 at 10:31

I have a granny smith that I espaliered along the fence,it has taken sometime but this year it was the only apples that were  successful .good for those apple crumbles.

27/10/2012 at 16:17

#Dovefromabove - I've a conference pear espaliered and it is fantastic - heavily laden every year and looks great. No hassle to look after, just stuck it in the ground and off it went! Good luck with your concorde - they're supposed to be another excellent espalier variety, as I'm sure you know, and are very similar to the conference from which I believe it is partly originated.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions - I've a Howgate Wonder on order!

27/10/2012 at 16:23

The rootstock is important for espaliers. See this RHS link http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=319

28/10/2012 at 05:20

Rich  .... enjoy! It's a lovely apple 

email image
11 messages