London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
4 messages
04/11/2013 at 14:45

Planted ES and some Chard last spring and a fellow Allotmenteer told me that my spinach was Everlasting

? Does that mean it stays in the same bed or should I rotate it to some where else...losing nutrients etc

? Is Chard the same sort of plant or does it need to be replaced every year

04/11/2013 at 16:06

It's not really everlasting.  Eventually it will go to seed.

Not sure what you mean by 'losing nutrients.'  Yes, you keep it in the rotation, so you plant it in a different place each year.

Replace chard every year.  It is a good vegetable to take you into the winter.

04/11/2013 at 16:30

If it's what is usually known as Perpetual Spinach (aka Spinach Beet) it's not everlasting. All that "perpetual" means is that you can grow it virtually all year ,as it's very hardy and won't go to seed as easily as the more delicate summer spinach. Chard behaves in much the same way.

You should sow fresh seeds each spring, and then at intervals through to late summer (if you want). The crops should keep going all winter on a cut-and-come-again basis. Eventually they do start to shoot up and get tough and leggy, but by this time your new crops will probably be just about ready.

A good crops for anyone with pet rabbits or guinea pigs, by the way! But also a useful standby for humans.

04/11/2013 at 21:04

I love both of them - Perpetual Spinach was one of my favourites as a child - we sow at least 3 crops of Swiss Chard each year and it's one of our favourite and most versatile of veggies. 

email image
4 messages