London (change)
Sat 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
6 messages
28/02/2013 at 20:06

I've grown garlic in containers for the last few years, sown in late winter. This time though I planted it in October for hopefully a bumper harvest. However as there's still no sign of anything sprouting, I dug up a few cloves to see where things were at. To my surprise there were neither any roots nor any shoots, but the cloves hadn't rotted away. I presume this is not normal? I wonder should I hold out for another while and hope they will sprout, or should I give up? If so is it too late now to put in new cloves?

28/02/2013 at 20:11

Pushing it a bit to put in new cloves but do an experiment leave some to see if they sprout and put in some. Ideally they need frosting to split into cloves. last year i was late so stuck them in the borttom of the fridge for a week or two, they were small, I would hardely call it bumper but I did get cloves 

01/03/2013 at 09:19

I always plant spring garlic along side my onions. They may be slightly smaller than those bought in the shops but its still perfectly edible.

Try spring garlic and get it in the ground now,  it needs a short blast of cold weather. I also keep the soil moist until shoots appear than I keep the area from drying out, from then on until harvest in late summer or when shoots start to die back.

01/03/2013 at 20:31

Robin, you don't say where you got the cloves you planted.

Were they bought for planting?  From a bulb sold in the supermarket?  From a bulb you grew last year?

If bought for planting, contact the firm you got them from.

If from a supermarket bulb it may have been treated to stop it sprouting.

02/03/2013 at 09:03
I lost 50% of mine in pots this year they seemed brilliant the rotted.
04/03/2013 at 21:55

Welshonion, I got them in Homebase (if I remember correctly) but unfortunately I did not keep the packaging so I can't remember which company it was. I think it may have been Jamie Oliver, he has some fruit/veg range out, so I won't be buying that again!

Thanks to everyone for their replies, I might just try and buy more and chill them in the fridge as suggested by marshmello. I don't mind if the cloves are on the small side, I like garlic but not that much that I would eat a whole big clove in the one go when cooking just for myself!

email image
6 messages